Name of company that charted barrel twist and ID?

Boyd Allen

A few years back, when button barrels still had the lion's share of the benchrest market, there was a company (still around?) that offered the service of measuring barrels' twist, and internal dimensions, and charting them. For the life of me, I can't remember the name. Can anyone remember the name?
Thanks,
Boyd

Do you mean barrel scan ? I think pac nor has barrel scan but dont know if they offer the service to the outside.

Actually, it was Barrel-Scan that I was trying to think of. I Googled Barrel-Scan and came up dry. Thanks anyway.
Boyd

Not sure which one it is, but Geza Nagy was a fan of theirs...A glance of his writings mid-19900s in Precision Shooting would give you (another?) name.

And this failing memory seems to remember that someone did this kind of work for Chris Dichter when he was setting up Pac-Nor. He used them to test his buttons and pulling techniques. You could call Chris -- Always found him helpful

Thanks Mike! Stu was the man. Looked at buying his technology several years ago. It was really good, but I just couldn't see where I could pay for it. Stu is a good guy.

The machine that Stu has (had?) was made by Manley Oakley. Here is a link to a very good article on the subject, on Dan Lilja's site. http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles/barrel_making/twist_machine.htm
Some time ago Stu told me that he would be glad to sell his, because since he had switched over to Krieger barrels (Bartlein was not in business at the time.) that he had no need for it, since, when testing those, the needle did not mover relative to the dial, but would just sit in one spot and quiver slightly. For someone who makes or uses a lot of buttoned barrels, I would think that having one might be an advantage.

Yeah,
He was selling it the year that the Nationals were in Phoenix and the World Championships were the following week. That was 15-20yrs ago.

barrel twiist checker

Yeah,
He was selling it the year that the Nationals were in Phoenix and the World Championships were the following week. That was 15-20yrs ago.

Butch your memory is still good, I did not sell it. By the way it was Manleys idea. I improved it some & made my own.

Back