N133 @ Cactus

goodgrouper

tryingtobeabettergrouper
After reading a recent thread on here about using N133 for fertilizer because it is finicky and hard to tune etc., I thought I would post some findings I had last week at the Cactus. I was going to keep this to myself as I figured those who actually shoot GROUP BR already knew this and those who don't would probably find something to gripe about instead of admitting they just don't know how to tune a 6ppc. But I then realized, that there are people out there who are honestly trying to learn about this sport and are, instead, reading about how to make ripe, red tomatoes and really deserve to know the truth about n133.

The truth is, N133 is a fantastic powder for the 6ppc. It might not scratch the itch in a 30br, but that is a different cartridge. It isn't made for N133 any more than a ppc is made for H4198. Now you can probably get either to work in both cartridges but not ideally.

I have tried many powders in the 6ppc. Benchmark, H322, N133, Rl10x, and H4895 to name a few. I have never had the pleasure of working with 8208 or the T powders. I have offered to "try" some, but couldn't find anyone willing to donate a bit to the cause of scientific study(or for me to just have fun with!) So out of the powders I have tried and the ones which you can actually get, N133 is the best I've found in the broadest spectrum and in the most varied conditions.

So, last week, I headed down to the cactus early to get out of the icebox where I live and to work on a couple of barrels. I arrived Tuesday afternoon and began shooting first thing Wednesday morning. I set up my Oehler 35 on bench 60 and left it there in the same spot for three days without touching it. I fired many, many groups (almost fired enough to run out of bullets before the match even started) over the chrono in temps from 55 to 80 degrees in two different ppc barrels with two sets of brass and three different lots of N133. You can imagine the combinations! And per my notes, I fired all the combinations possible. This barrel with that lot, and that brass with that lot in the other barrel, and so on and so forth. ANd to make a long story short.........they all worked fine!

The first lot of N133 was from 2007. The second lot was from 2002. The third lot from 1999.

Barrel one: 53.5 clicks/2007 lot=3354 fps. I repeated this load numerous times and recorded 3346, 3357, 3339 average velos for this load.

Then I switched to the 2002 lot, same clicks. Velos were 3340, and 3355.
Then 1999 lot same clicks, same barrel. Velos were 3341, 3333, and 3336.

Standard deviations ranged from 2 fps to 13 fps throughout. Not too bad. Three lots separated by 8 years and only 22 fps difference in them from high to low. The averages were much closer.

Then I repeated the same stuff on day two (thursday) and day three (friday) and the numbers stayed almost identical. I did also try other loads besides 53.5 clicks and actually found that 52.5 clicks gave the best groups and similar deviations. The average velocity on that load dropped to 3296 but was drilling "ones" at 200 yards for three shot groups when the pilot watched his flags closely.

So Friday afternoon, I cracked out a different lot of 220 russian Lapua brass and ran some numbers on it. As far as I can tell, there are three years difference in the lots of my two batches of brass. I ran 53.5 clicks with both batches and one gave averages of 3344 and the other was 3339. So brass was almost interchangeable. In fact, it would have been except for the fact that I wanted to keep them separated as the new lot is new and the old lot has been used for over a year.

Then I wanted to try some different primers but ran out of time.:( Oh well, maybe next match week.

Bottom line, N133 is consistent from lot to lot, it is consistent from day to day, and it is proportionate in it's velocity increases with temperature. If it's finicky to you, then you'd better beg or steal some 8208 from somebody or quit yer complainin'!:eek::)

Incidentally, I used the 52.5 click load the entire match from morning to afternoon, both days and it was doing exactly what it had been doing three days prior. I think somedays we blame the powder for our problems when in fact, the load was fine, we just weren't watching the darn flags.:eek:

Last edited:
Hi GoodGrouper

I'm not a clicker so could you tell me how many gr's 52.5 clicks are?

And maybe what twist tube w what bullet.

thanks

Thanks for sharing

Goodgrouper

Thanks for sharing your hard earned and expensive data with us, the benchrest comm. appreciates it. I agree with you > its a hard pill to swallow that the most important aspect of bench shooting is the enviroment in which we shoot. It is EASIER to blame exterior factors and most do. I believe 95 percent of the guns at the line today are capable of winning! We have great equipment these days. However, they must be tuned properly and guided properly.

Thanks for the post,

Marty
:rolleyes:

GoodGrouper, if you don't mind me asking, what were your aggs for the match?

Well not as good as I hoped for but I stayed on the first page(I think that was the first 40 shooters) for every agg except the HV200 where I slipped to the sixties somewhere. But the other aggs gave me a 36th place 2 gun finish. Not too bad for shooting off someone else's flags that made no sense to me.:eek::confused: I hate darn ribbon tape but that's a different thread.........

Hi GoodGrouper

I'm not a clicker so could you tell me how many gr's 52.5 clicks are?

And maybe what twist tube w what bullet.

thanks

In my loading room, 52.5 clicks yields 28.3 grains which is interesting because I loaded next to Walt Berger and he uses a Chargemaster and I saw him punch 28.2 grains into the machine for his match load. He lives there in Phoenix and knows the range well and what loads work and I was throwing basically what he was the whole weekend without even knowing it.

BTW, I have a chargemaster too and used to use it at the matches like Walt but I found it to be a tad too slow and it was not wind or dust friendly. But I agree with Walt that weight is better than volume but I have shot some of my best aggs with the powder thrower and I'd dare say Walt shot himself into the HOF using a thrower and not a Chargemaster! Consistency and small kernel powders are the key to throwing.

My bullets were 68 grain Bruno OO BT and my tube is a Krieger 13.5" twist.

Last edited:
Goodgrouper

Thanks for sharing your hard earned and expensive data with us, the benchrest comm. appreciates it. I agree with you > its a hard pill to swallow that the most important aspect of bench shooting is the enviroment in which we shoot. It is EASIER to blame exterior factors and most do. I believe 95 percent of the guns at the line today are capable of winning! We have great equipment these days. However, they must be tuned properly and guided properly.

Thanks for the post,

Marty
:rolleyes:

I agree 100%.
I know I've wasted lots of powder trying to find that "one" load when I should have been concentrating on technique and flag reading instead. I'd bet there's been lots of guys get teed off at their "damn gun" when it was really the pilot who was at fault. I'm guilty as charged.

Flags-

Well not as good as I hoped for but I stayed on the first page(I think that was the first 40 shooters) for every agg except the HV200 where I slipped to the sixties somewhere. But the other aggs gave me a 36th place 2 gun finish. Not too bad for shooting off someone else's flags that made no sense to me.:eek::confused: I hate darn ribbon tape but that's a different thread.........

The way I see it you could have done much worse with someone elses flags. You owe me dude! :D
Most don't set 7, and get 3-4 of them in your scope at 200. You should of said something when I offered you to shoot on our rotation. Picking them up at the end by myself was good exercise too...

It's all good, Jim. I'm willing to let you try someone elses flags next match. ;)

-MP

The way I see it you could have done much worse with someone elses flags. You owe me dude! :D
Most don't set 7, and get 3-4 of them in your scope at 200. You should of said something when I offered you to shoot on our rotation. Picking them up at the end by myself was good exercise too...

It's all good, Jim. I'm willing to let you try someone elses flags next match. ;)

-MP

Mike,

Don't misunderstand me. I appreciated your flags. I just couldn't make heads or tails of the ribbons. I have gotten used to shooting on my sail tails so the ribbons just look like busy, wiggly lines to me.

ANd btw, since I was shooting on the third relay, by the time I had cleaned my gun and put it away, I came back over to the range to help with the flags but you had already picked them up and were long gone! You had picked up ALL your equipment and left the premises before I had even gathered up my loading gear! If I prevented you from leaving a louder peel-out in the parking lot on your rapid departure from the range, I apologize.;)

Last edited:
Jim

No problems here, but I had to rib you some ;)

as for leaving shoots, I can get out of there in record time with the best of them. Lowell Frei is usually shooting his last group from the front seat of his truck.
Roger and I even took time to reflect on our mediocore preformances, then stuck the Hula doll on the dashboard and said a prayer to forgive us for the speed limits we were about to break.

This is something you will learn in time, my son... :eek:

Mike

No problems here, but I had to rib you some ;)

as for leaving shoots, I can get out of there in record time with the best of them. Lowell Frei is usually shooting his last group from the front seat of his truck.
Roger and I even took time to reflect on our mediocore preformances, then stuck the Hula doll on the dashboard and said a prayer to forgive us for the speed limits we were about to break.

This is something you will learn in time, my son... :eek:

Mike

:D:D:D:D
Yeah, you "old" guys complain about your aching bones and drive like old maids until there's a benchrest match to vacate. Then it's like your Geritol morphs into a cocktail of pcp and crack cocaine and all us young whipper snappers have to watch out so we don't get run over!:p

Back