N130 and N120

mturner

I don't know if this is old news or not, but it looks like bugging the importers for N130 and N120 in 8 # jugs has paid off. Powder Valley does have these in stock in the 8 # jugs. Now 30BR and 30PPC shooters will have these powders to play with again. I believe some 6PPC shooters were blending N130 with N133.

Michael

I don't know if this is old news or not, but it looks like bugging the importers for N130 and N120 in 8 # jugs has paid off. Powder Valley does have these in stock in the 8 # jugs. Now 30BR and 30PPC shooters will have these powders to play with again. I believe some 6PPC shooters were blending N130 with N133.

Michael

I noticed that PV had 8 pounders of 130 the first week in April.

Michael

Are either or both better than LT30 for 30BR?

Possibly

Are either or both better than LT30 for 30BR?

Some shooters swear by N130 in the 30BR. Most consider H4198 and N130 to be the top two powders for the 30BR. Over time N130 lost popularity because it was no longer available in 8 # containers.

Michael

I swear by N130 for my 222's, when I first bought N130 it was only available in 2LB jugs it was 1996 vintage.
I was running low a few years ago and could not find it anywhere, In 2016 Powder Valley had some in stock so I bought what they had it was all 1LB jugs from 2011 (where was it hiding for 5 years ?????) I have tried blending it with N133 to make N131.5 for my PPC with no success at all. will have to order an 8LB jug while it is in stock

It lost popularity...

Some shooters swear by N130 in the 30BR. Most consider H4198 and N130 to be the top two powders for the 30BR. Over time N130 lost popularity because it was no longer available in 8 # containers.

Michael

in part because years ago a 2 pound jug was $30, until recently a 1 lb jug was more than that and when you calculated the cost of 8 lbs in 1 lb containers it was significantly more that H4198. One of the claims in the past was they used linen and not ground wood for the carbon source. Not sure if that even makes a difference or if they still do. I used a lot of it in the past but have been using H4198 and spending the difference on barrels and bullets. --Greg

N120

sort of interests me. It is in the same burning range as RL7, H4198 and H322, and a bit faster than N130 and N133. Hodgdons burn rate chart shows it just behind H4198, but they could be identical. I wonder how it would work in the 30BR and PPC? I used N130 in the PPC years ago. A friends wife shot the PA state shoot 100 yard leg and she and the rifle performed very well.

sort of interests me. It is in the same burning range as RL7, H4198 and H322, and a bit faster than N130 and N133. Hodgdons burn rate chart shows it just behind H4198, but they could be identical. I wonder how it would work in the 30BR and PPC? I used N130 in the PPC years ago. A friends wife shot the PA state shoot 100 yard leg and she and the rifle performed very well.

I use n120 in a 30 Major(grendel) almost exclusively and have since 2007. In the small 30 case, it is considerably faster than h4198, regardless of what the burn rate charts say...by at least 2.5 grains faster. It's the magic pixie dust in this cartridge. I still have never tried it in a 30BR but I bet it would be very good. Unlike h4198, you don't have to work very hard to get too much in a case though. It gives what I consider a perfect fill rate in my 30 Major case, just lightly compressed. It's a wonderful powder and is now cheaper than N133 and several other powders.

Haven't tried N120 yet, but LT-30 has been a very strong performer in my .30 Stingray (40 degree .30 Major with the shoulder pushed ahead another 0.035"). A couple of guys I know switched to LT-30 in their .30 BRs. Claim it shoots a hair tighter than 4198 in their guns. The nice thing about LT-30 is the supply is plentiful.....at least for now.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Lol..just ask jim p
haven't tried n120 yet, but lt-30 has been a very strong performer in my .30 stingray (40 degree .30 major with the shoulder pushed ahead another 0.035"). A couple of guys i know switched to lt-30 in their .30 brs. Claim it shoots a hair tighter than 4198 in their guns. The nice thing about lt-30 is the supply is plentiful.....at least for now.

-lee
www.singleactions.com

Haven't tried N120 yet, but LT-30 has been a very strong performer in my .30 Stingray (40 degree .30 Major with the shoulder pushed ahead another 0.035"). A couple of guys I know switched to LT-30 in their .30 BRs. Claim it shoots a hair tighter than 4198 in their guns. The nice thing about LT-30 is the supply is plentiful.....at least for now.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

I very much think that N120 is worth a try. I've only had one barrel that would shoot the lt30 anywhere near as well as n120. It meters like water, clean and is very consistent, both from lot to lot and in terms of temp sensitivity....in the small 30 case and pressure is not spikey. It builds nice and smooth. If it would work in everything I load for, I would use it. I wish all powders were as good as it is. It's been my little secret for a long time. Don't ya'll go buy it all up but I do very much recommend trying it in your barrels chambered for the small 30's. It simply offers everything I could ask for.

Last edited:
Relative to Mike's initial reply - for the short thirty Cal. cartridge/light bullet combinations - here are some more excellent options: AA5744; IMR4227; (if you still have some) H4227. As Mike stated, with these options, maximum charge weight may be dictated by PRESSURE, as opposed to [running out of] case volume . . . but, consistently, they shoot small groups! :eek:;) Keep 'em ON the X! RG

Relative to Mike's initial reply - for the short thirty Cal. cartridge/light bullet combinations - here are some more excellent options: AA5744; IMR4227; (if you still have some) H4227. As Mike stated, with these options, maximum charge weight may be dictated by PRESSURE, as opposed to [running out of] case volume . . . but, consistently, they shoot small groups! :eek:;) Keep 'em ON the X! RG

Yes sir, but I'd stay away from 4227. It lures ya in by shooting smaller and smaller as you add powder, until it gets dangerously HOT! YMMV, but I don't use it. I have...but no mas. 5744 is seldom heard of but shoots very well. 1680 is another one, as are the more commonly used h4198, rl7, n130 norma 200, etc. I wish someone would test n120 in a 30br. I'd just like to hear how it does. It and a 30 Major are really close kin and n120 is head and shoulders above the rest IMO. I bet if more people will give it a try, a lot of people would end up shooting it. Just remember though..it's considerably faster than h4198. I'd start at 30.0 grains of 120 and typical 115-118 grain bullets, and work up. I'm guessing you'll end up at around 32.0 grains and 3,100+fps.

Back