My Dasher is done.

Larry M

This is the first Dasher for me. Built on a Dual port Lawton with 28" Bartlien barrel with Bob Green tuner. Will also be my first set of full custom dies. Will be picking it up Thursday night or Fri.

So far cases have been trimmed and necks turned. Still need to order .257 expander and proper bushings.

I have berger 105VLD's need to sort them yet.
Still need to pick up some Varget , RL15 and H4895 for powders to test.

I want to ask anyone's advice on where I should go from here once i get all the various parts gathered up?

Will be fieforming with the false shoulder.

For the moment I also only have 100yds to test at, I know it's not ideal but its what I have.

Try using the chronograph for proof that loads will work at 1000. If you can shoot ten rounds and the extreme spread is less than 10 fps, you'll have a load that works at 1000. Been there, done that, over ten years ago................we had nothing but a 300 yard range to test loads, and then travelled 800 miles to a 1000 yard range for competition. Took 1st place.

If the reamer used to chamber your gun has a freebore of greater than 0.090 start with 32.5 grains of RE15 and a CCI 450 Magnum primer after your brass is fireformed.Increase the powder charge 0.2 grains at a time with the bullets seated as far out as they will go using a bushing 0.003 smaller than a loaded round.Somewhere between 33 and 33.7 grains it will all come together on the target if your shooting 3 shot groups.Now play with your seating depth until the groups look like a dot not a triangle.Again 3 shot groups.
Now measure the seating depth with a comparator and test on each side of what you have already written down.You should see a range of about 0.005 wide were the gun shoots good.
Before you go to a match load your rounds one at a time and make sure your seatng depth is dead center and exactly spot on.If its 0.001 to long adjust your seating die.If its 0.001 to short use that round as a sighter/spotter.
Now that your ammo is good use your tuner to take out any vertical in your load as close to match day as is possible.
Waterboy

Thanks guys I appreciate the information. I hope to blow the cases out next weekend. Right now I'm trying to decide between several test methods. Find a place to shoot 300 and do the ladder test then work with the tuner and seating depth OR use a single case and find what my max charge is for several powders and then work with the tuner and seating depth. As far as the tuner goes this is a first for me too. I have heard some say start with the tuner on find a load then adjust, some say tune it with the tuner off then put it on and retune to your chosen load.

Tuner

Thanks guys I appreciate the information. I hope to blow the cases out next weekend. Right now I'm trying to decide between several test methods. Find a place to shoot 300 and do the ladder test then work with the tuner and seating depth OR use a single case and find what my max charge is for several powders and then work with the tuner and seating depth. As far as the tuner goes this is a first for me too. I have heard some say start with the tuner on find a load then adjust, some say tune it with the tuner off then put it on and retune to your chosen load.

Larry

Leave your tuner on the barrel while working up loads, you want to work up loads with the same weight on the barrel that you will be shooting.

Stand in front of your rifle turn your tuner all the way back toward the breach then work up loads the same as if you didn't have a tuner.
When you find your best load, then you can start using the tuner to refine that load.

You had 6.5x47 shooting really well you can work up your loads for your Dasher the same way.
If you can't get to 300 yd.range at this time don't worry about it.
300 yd. is the bare minimum to do a ladder test anyway.Your group are too small to differentiate the color of bullets easily, it's far better at 500 or 600 yd.

One of our biggest competition at Bridgeville does his initial work at 100 yd. and then goes to 200 and then comes to Bridgeville beats us.

I will see at Bridgeville

John H
If you get stuck
Shoerjbh10@yahoo.com

Last edited:
Back