Model 11 Stevens in 32 Long Rifle

P

Paul Skvorc

I just purchased one of these, (although I don't yet have it in my hands), and I have a couple of questions I thought I'd ask here.

1) Does anyone have any recommendations on where I might find any .32 RF ammo other than Old Western Scrounger and Dixie Gun Works?

2) I've heard a rumor that there was a "special run" of .32 RF ammo made within the last couple of years. Anyone know anything about that?

3) What kind of pressure will the Model 11 withstand? If I convert to a CF, I'm thinking I'd keep it mild like the .32 Long Colt or something comparable - say 15,000-ish PSI. However, maybe the Model 11 could take say, 25,000 PSI? If so I might consider a new barrel in .25 and chamber to .25 Hornet.

4) What is the .32 RF caliber?

Thanks,
Paul

Paul,
You'll get probably more answers over on the ASSRA forum.

While you could change a 32 rimfire to the 32 colt (short or long) by changing the firing pin location, I don't think it's a good idea. The hornet, 22 or 25, is a definite NO. These rifles are low strength for rimfire only. The 32 rimfire ammo from Navy Arms that was made 10-20 years ago is the way to go if you really have to shoot it. This ammo is very low pressure & sub sonic - you can see the bullet in flight through a spotting scope. I did not find the Navy Arms ammo very accurate.

There are fewer unaltered old guns every year - don't dink with it. JMHO.

Regards, Ron

Ron,

As far as 'dinking' with it...

1) That would be the reason to shoot the .32 RF,
2) It's already been 'dinked' with, and
3) I'm not into "restoration".

Thanks for the ASSRA suggestion.

Paul

PS - Apparently, it's not a Model 11 as advertised. Rather it is a 1915 "Favorite". Does that change anything for anyone? I'm still interested in the pressure capabilities if anyone knows them. According to QuickLoad, the CIP and SAAMI max chamber pressure for a .22RF is something like 29,000 PSI. (Sounds awfully high to me, but I can't find any real numbers for it.) I could keep the .25-20 SS to WAY less than that. In fact, I should be able to get 2000 f/s from a 60-grian bullet with a chamber pressure around 18,000 PSI. If that is indeed less than the 22RF, that sounds like a winner.

Paul

Attachments

• Stevens m-11.jpg
    Stevens m-11.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 319
Last edited by a moderator:
I just got off the phone with Dave at Pacific Tool and Gauge (the folks from whom I get all of my reamers), and he tells me the SAAMI spec for max chamber pressure for the .22 RF is ~25,000 PSI. So I asked him about converting the .32 RF to .25-20 Single Shot, and he said -
"That's a good conversion."

I can easily stay below 25,000 with the 25-20 SS and handloads.

Of course there is always the issue of whether or not it will 'shoot', but that's the case for any firearm.

I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Thanks for your input, Ron.

Paul

Paul,

I worked on a Marlin lever action last year that was in 32 rimfire. As I recall, Southern Ohio Guns had ammunition. Various companies do make runs of the stuff occasionally. It would be a real hoot to get a box and try the old girl before you go cutting it up.

Clemson

I was told that SOG was out of the .32 RF ammo, but I haven't actually called them to check on that.

Clemson,

Do you have a .32 RF spent case? If so, I'll buy it and pay the postage if you'd send me one. I'm considering simply making a CF version of the .32 RF. While hand-making 20-50 of the CF cases would be tedious, I suspect at these pressures, they'd last a life-time. In fact, it'd be easy enough to simply make another breech-block and have one for CF and one "original".

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Back