mid range optic

A

at4rxj

Right now on my .243wssm AR I have a 4.5-14x44 Zeiss. I like the scope a lot, but want something with a little more magnification for target shooting. I'm looking for something sturdy, repeatable, and clear. 20x is the minimum magnification I'm looking at (20x being the high end of the variable magnification).

I like the Nikon Monarch 5-20, the Burris Black Diamond 6-24, leupold vxIII 6.5-20 EFR, and I'm also looking at the Burris Fullfield II 6.5-20.

Any thoughts on these, or any others I'm missing? I'd really appreciate some first hand input on the ones I listed or any other comparable. I'm trying to stay between $500-800, give or take...

I would prefer a 1" tube instead of a 30mm tube as I already have the 1" mount. However, that's nothing that would make or break the decision, just a factor to consider. Of the ones I listed, the Burris Black Diamond is the only 30mm listed.
Finger adjustable turrets are a must.

Thanks in advance!

Right now on my .243wssm AR I have a 4.5-14x44 Zeiss. I like the scope a lot, but want something with a little more magnification for target shooting. I'm looking for something sturdy, repeatable, and clear. 20x is the minimum magnification I'm looking at (20x being the high end of the variable magnification).

I like the Nikon Monarch 5-20, the Burris Black Diamond 6-24, leupold vxIII 6.5-20 EFR, and I'm also looking at the Burris Fullfield II 6.5-20.

Any thoughts on these, or any others I'm missing? I'd really appreciate some first hand input on the ones I listed or any other comparable. I'm trying to stay between $500-800, give or take...

I would prefer a 1" tube instead of a 30mm tube as I already have the 1" mount. However, that's nothing that would make or break the decision, just a factor to consider. Of the ones I listed, the Burris Black Diamond is the only 30mm listed.
Finger adjustable turrets are a must.

Thanks in advance!
...I also like my Zeiss 4.5x14 and also have three Leupold 6.5x20 in 40mm and 50mm...I don't have the EFR version in the 6.5x20 but do have some in the 3x9version....I use almost all Leupold scopes and am seldom disappointed.....Burris has had quality control-customer service problems...according to board feedback......I have several Nikon cameras and lens systems but no scopes......I would just get a Leupold 6.5x20..in 40 or 50mm and get the target knobs if you want or the new VXIII version has finger adjustable low turrets.....the EFR version is tough for air rifles with a close focus/AO system but unnecessary for centerfire use at 50yds or more........hth..good luck and good shooting with nice clear dependable optics....and lots of interesting targets!!

I've got two Leupold 6.5-20x50 LR target scopes, one 6.5-20x50 Mk4 LR tactical M1, and one 6.5-20x40 LR that I sent back to have M1 knobs put on. Haven't had any kind of a problem with any of the four so far, and do appreciate the extra clarity/resolution of the Leupold optics compared to a couple of SWFA 16x SS scopes. The Super Snipers have been totally reliable when it comes to the adjustments, but it's tougher to resolve bullet splashes with them on steel targets at 1000 than it is with any of the four Leupolds set at 16x.

I've commented favorably on the SS scopes numerous times here & on other forums, and didn't intend the above as a criticism - IMHO, it's not fair to expect a $300 scope to have the same quality optics as one which costs more than twice that.

What's the difference in the Leupold and Nikon that makes everyone seem to prefer them? The optical quality seems about the same between the different levels of their scopes. Is there something internal that's different?

Nikon doesn't have the range of magnification in their 30mm tube models that Leupold does. AFAIK, their 4-16x50 tactical scope has the highest magnification of any 30mm scope in their line, while Leupold has both 6.5-20 & 8-25 scopes in their 30mm LR target line. Most shooters like the additional range of adjustment that a 30mm tube gives, and theoretically, a 30mm tube should lead to a brighter image.

As far as optical quality goes, I have a Nikon 4-16x50 tactical, and feel its optics are every bit as clear & sharp as my Leupolds when they're set to 16x. Same can be said for a new 30mm Bushnell 6500 Elite 2.5-16x42 that I received recently. When they finally get the 4.5-30x50 Elite on the market, I betcha there's going to be a lot of target shooters trying them. I haven't mounted the Elite on a rifle yet, so don't know a thing about how well it tracks or repeats, but I do like the optical quality.

Thanks for all the input. I had settled on a Leupold 6.5-20, but came across a steal on a Zeiss 6.5-20 so I grabbed it. It will be more along the lines of what I'm used to, and should do just as well as the Leupold (if not better).

Thanks again!

Back