Measuring exturnal threads

JohninLV

What is the best way to go? Use the three wire method. Buy a threading micrometer? I notice on Ebay they come in different pitch sizes.

John In LV

A nice set of thread mics are tough to beat. Usually they'll come with anvils to cover a range of pitches. Anything > 0-1 should come with a standard as well. If not, you'll need one before it's all over, unless you can borrow one or use someones and just let that set of anvils in.

depends on just how close your working. The most accurate method is of cource the three wire method. There are also triangle blocks you can buy that work with conventional micrometers, and these seem to be good enough for 90% of the applications
gary

I use wires. I know they are a bit of a pain, but they are a recognized "standard" if I'm not mistaken. Reference Greg Wally's post about the Panda and Teddy actions. He speaks of measuring threads "over .032" wires". Now anyone with thread wires can use them and a 1-2 mic, and you are right there. No dependency on inserts, anvils, etc. I had been having a fit using the wires years ago, keeping them in place while measuring. Well Jackie chimed in with the $hit simple comment about using a dab of grease to hold them in place. DUH!

Now, to measure and keep your own records, nothing at all wrong with the thread mics. I have my own tools to measure a tenon, headspace, etc. They are my measurements that nobody else could use without my stuff. More than one way to skin the kitty.

Last edited:
I heard somewhere that the fella in this picture was rumored to be Jackie Schmidts Grand Daddy, and that just after this picture was taken, he pulled out three pieces of drill rod and a big gob of grease to measure the threads.

bigscrew.jpg

Paul

My grandad!!!!

Heck, that's me when I was younger.:D

I use thread triangles for most work, unless we get something that absolutly has to be dead on, (and we do not know what it is going on), then we will use wires.

We do a lot of threading. We actually make our own large nuts now. By large, I mean 3 1/2 inch diameter and above. We used to by them, but none are made here any more, (China), and the quality is so bad that they are just about useless. We single point them in an engine lathe, sounds slow, but we have special tooling that allows a man to bore and thread a 4 inch diameter 4 tpi nut in about 15 minutes. ........jackie

I heard somewhere that the fella in this picture was rumored to be Jackie Schmidts Grand Daddy, and that just after this picture was taken, he pulled out three pieces of drill rod and a big gob of grease to measure the threads.

bigscrew.jpg

Paul

isn't that the stud in a firing pin removal tool for a 50bmg 1000yd bolt gun ???

mike in co

It does not look like a twin lead to me Al, but, maybe if turn the picture more toward perpendicular I could tell!

Best method for wires

I have a Swiss thread measuring micrometer, but I always fumble around with the rotating anvil when aligning on the part. I’ve found the most effective and facile way to hold the thread measuring wires is with a piece of polyethylene closed cell foam. MSC and McMaster sell this material – it’s usually listed under anti-static foam for electronic component storage. Other types of insulating foams from your local hardware store would work as well. No more messy grease or fumbling around with rubber bands to hold the wires.

This is Top Secret-Orchid Eater special access only information, so don’t tell anybody :eek:)

Attachments

• IMG_5982.jpg
    IMG_5982.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 545
  • IMG_5984.jpg
    IMG_5984.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 522
  • IMG_5983.jpg
    IMG_5983.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 531
The most important part of that last picture is not the thread measuring wires in the foam, like John pierce showed me, It's how Greg got around buying Colchester Clausing roller tips for his clausing Steady rest. Those are as hard to find as hens teeth, and priced to match. Great photo Greg.

Paul

Last edited:
My fingers don't work as well with the wires. I wouldn't take for my thread mics.
Butch

have you tried holding the wires in place with rubber bands? The thread triangles are much better than thread mics by the way
gary

It does not look like a twin lead to me Al, but, maybe if turn the picture more toward perpendicular I could tell!

this is so funny! Even after reading the replies and knowing the picture I went back and looked again and my head just goes left trying to get the angle....

LOL

al

Back