Manfrotto or other suggestions??

CYanchycki

Club Coordinator
I am looking for a sturdy tripod to hold my spotting scope. Something with a solid aluminium head no plastic or composite. I look at Manfrotto's site well it is pretty hard to decide without seeing it in person whether I would be happy or not.

Can you guys help me out with some suggestions. It will be used for spotting at matches and when I do some long range plinking at the farm.

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Calvin

I use Bogen/Manfrotto tripods for scopes and my chronograph as well as photography. I have used Bogen/Manfrotto tripods and accessories for years in advertising/industrial photography and they are excellent. If you watch E-bay camera section, search for tripods, you'll find lots of Manfrotto and Bogen for sale at great prices...

Happy Shooting,
Mitch & Shadow...

Samson!

The Super Shoot offers an unequalled opportunity to evaluate spotting scopes and tripods. Based on several years of doing just that, I have decided the Leupold spotting scope mounted on a Samson tripod is head and shoulders above the rest. Why?

1. The Leupold spotting scopes have the best eye relief and field of view and their optics are unsurpassed by even the most expensive European models.

2. The big, heavy Samson tripods are rock solid and don't jiggle around in the wind like the flimsy aluminum models.

FWIW, my .02 worth. :)

Gene Beggs

I don't think

I have looked through a Leupold spotting scope yet but will sometime I hope. Don't see many of them around.

Hello Pete

I have one that you can look through, let me know if you plan to be in my area. Or, I can bring it to a match next spring.

Dick Parrino

Dick...

I have one that you can look through, let me know if you plan to be in my area. Or, I can bring it to a match next spring.

Dick Parrino

Pete was supposed to come to the military shoot with me. Age and other considerations have made him a fair weather shooter I guess. :)

manfrotto answers

1. 055NAT tripod in green with foam cover on top half of legs

2. 128RC micor fluid head with pan feature,

Jeffy

Monfrotto Bogan

Our Club shoots A LOT of RF silhouette and we have found thefolowing to be the best bang for the money and best for the weight.

Monfrotto Bogan 3063 head

Monfrotto Bogan 3011 tripod

The Monfrotto Bogan 3046 tripod is sturdier in wind but quite a bit heavier and larger.

I have all the above and love them!!! I use the 3011 tripod and leave the 3046 at home due to weight and size.

In this case eBay will be your frined in this search - MUCH cheaper than new.

George

I'm a photographer and I agree that Bogen Manfrotto is among the absolute best. In my studio I use a B/M 3 axis head that is very good, but at a match this last weekend I saw a head that just blew me away. It is a B/M model 222 ball head with a pistol grip release. With my 3 axis, if I want to point in a different direction I'll have to loosen 3 knobs one at a time move and tighten them again. With the pistol grip I just pull the lever, aim where I want and release the lever. After about 10 minutes of playing with it I was sold, the first minute I was around a computer I ordered one.

file0000933.gif

While it may not be quite Bogen Manfrotto quality, I have been pretty happy with my Dynatran AT-6906. It is plenty heavy for spotting scope use, and the three way pan head is smooth operating. This model is no longer available, but you may find it on Ebay for under $100 if you keep looking.

The Dynatran At-6903 is still listed by Amvona.com, and the main difference seems to be a slightly less expensive three way pan head. It lists for $99.99, and comes with a carrying case and a shoulder strap. Weight is listed at 11.14 pounds. Link is http://www.amvona.com/shop?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1841&category_id=87

Jim

Thanks Guys

for your help. That is what I was looking for. Guys who have or have tried a certain model and felt it was worthy of mentioning.

Jeff, thanks. I see OpticsPlanet as the exact setup you are talking about as a package deal.

Calvin

Have you considered Kowa?

The Kowa 821 spotting scopes with the 25x long eye relief (LER) eye pieces are quite popular in across the course and silhouette shooting. The eye piece has enough relief to see the entire field of view with shooting glasses on. (Many high quality optics are a bit short on eye relief.)

Unfortunately, it is a rather large and heavy scope if you are carrying it in the field hunting.

Although the optics are quite good and can easily read mirage and such, the color rendition is not quite that of the version with the fluorite lens version which Kowa offered for about twice the price.

I purchased

this past weekend a 055 XB Tripod and a 128 RC Fluid head. Very nice stuff INDEED. One of our local camera shops had both in stock so I was actually able to see what I was planning on buying and trying it out.

The 055 is a aluminium tripod while the 190 is carbon fiber.

The 055 is a bit heavier but not that noticeable. It also has a heavier load capacity than the 190.

The smoothness of the fluid head is unbelievable.

Calvin

Back