Making Action Screws

M

mpatti

I am in the final stages of putting together my first projecton a 700 action. I have glass bedded the rifle(using T handle stock making screws) and I need to make set of 1/4-28 screws for the gun. (The standard set is too short.)
I saw Brownells sold screw blanks but was wondering what the best way to make the screws would be. Being new to the game, I am trying to imagine how I would grab the screw in the chuck of my lathe to work on it.
Also, is there a standard measurement that the screws should go above the bedding of the stock. (I imagine I could just take a reading in the holes of the action. . . . )
Thanks for any advice.

Brownell's also sell finished longer socket head screws.... way easier and better and cheaper than cutting screw threads on a lathe...

The screws are 1/4 inch stock... if you make a small "bushing" larger than 3/8 of an inch in o.d.... with a 1/4 inch hole through it, make one saw cut lengthwise cutting one side... you can insert the screw and grab it in your 3 jaw chuck...

Brownell's also sell finished longer socket head screws.... way easier and better and cheaper than cutting screw threads on a lathe...

The screws are 1/4 inch stock... if you make a small "bushing" larger than 3/8 of an inch in o.d.... with a 1/4 inch hole through it, make one saw cut lengthwise cutting one side... you can insert the screw and grab it in your 3 jaw chuck...
Dennis, I'm sure you're familiar with it but they make a handy gadget that let's you used 5-C collets in a 3-jaw or 4-jaw chuck. One is a square body and the other is a hex body that accepts the collets. They are not expensive and I use mine quite often with the lathe. It would be ideal for such a time as this.

You can also buy fine threaded socket head cap screws at your local hardware store if they have a well equipped bolt and nut section. Buy some just a little bit long and cut them off as needed.

Brownells sells over long action screws for just this situation.. All you have to do is cut 'em to the proper length..

Back