Make a 22 BR form die from chamber reamer?

DSM

Chuck
I'm about ready to start forming 22BR brass for my 40x project. I only have a Redding type S 22BR FL Sizer.(seater is inline made with reamer) I doubt this die will work without shaving the crap out of the neck. A 6BR case will not pass freely though the neck opening of the die. I could probably open it up and use a large bushing first then drop down.

I am wondering if I make a 7/8-14 blank out of a piece of barrel and simply chamber it with my chamber reamer. Set it up on my press and run a 6BR case up into it. Maybe reach up and knock down the neck/shoulder junction in the die chamber for a smooth transition then polish? Would this solution work OK? I see no reason it won't just to get the neck sized down from 6BR brass.

Try it and see. I'd use something like RCBS case lube instead of Imperial Wax.

It was common to make 22 Waldog cases out of a 22/250 die we shortened.

Normally for this type operation I use a Skip Otto neck reducer kit.

Forming

Try it.......I recently used an old 30 caliber barrel turned down, threaded and reamed for 30 br and finally shortened by .085". Worked pretty darn well for forming 6mm Talldog brass.

Or get a generic Hornady 22 caliber neck die. I used one of those for forming 6mm br from 7mm br. That also worked well.

I use an old 22BR non bushing die that I got used for 10 bucks for forming
Jim

Sometimes that edge on bushing dies are kinda sharp, it may shave the brass. I used a 22BR sizer, not a bushing die. If you could get/borrow a 6BR die and a couple bushings, you would be in great shape.

Sometimes that edge on bushing dies are kinda sharp, it may shave the brass. I used a 22BR sizer, not a bushing die. If you could get/borrow a 6BR die and a couple bushings, you would be in great shape.

Wayne...the edge inside the die will not come close to letting a 6br case pass...would definitely shave like crazy. I could very well open it up with a micro boring bar, but that's too easy.

I went ahead and made a form die. Will give it a try this week to see if it works as expected. If not...it looks pretty :)

IMAG0002-picsay.jpg

I used the die today and it sure did work slick. Tiny chamfer on the outside of the neck, little imperial and out comes a necked down BR case. After that, I ran the case through a bushing die. Both operations are effortless. Just for kicks...I ran a few over the concentricity gauge and the most runout I had was .002"-.004" after the two operations.

Back