M1 rechambering?

Don

Ive been asked to find out if an M1 carbine can be re-barrel/chambered to a .223 Remington.

I cant believe the retail price asked at a local sporting goods store this weekend.

Is this a bit of nastalgia or a sales exec. with no clue.

I can remember seeing these 10 years ago in bucket sales for $30 a piece................Don

hrde1c.jpg

Last edited:
Don

$30 !!! You're getting old if you can remember when M1 Carbines sold for $30.

The 223 would probably be too long. The 22 Spitfire/22 Carbine/5.5 MMJ have all worked in the past. Same cartridge, different names. You used to be able to buy a kit that included a barrel and dies but that was a long time ago, back when Carbines sold for $30. :) I doubt if they're still available but you might be able to Google up something.

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
5.6 spitfire barrel

Gilberts Small Arms Range in Lorton Va. 703-550-8005 has one new on the shelf from an estate for sale. O.W.L.:):):):):)

Bolt face is too small, action is too short, and .223 would operate at proof load levels for that little guy.

karls

You're right about the length and pressure, but the bolt face can be altered to fit the 223 case head. In fact, the very first prototype for what would become the 223 used a shortened 222 Rem case in a modified M1 Carbine. Called the 22 Gustafson and/or the 22 SCHV (Small Caliber High Velocity) it started the whole thing back in 1952. But that little cartridge could not meet the Ordnance Department specs and so the search for a bigger cartridge began and the Carbine was abandonded in favor of the Armalite AR 15.

Ray

Bob Shutzen of Olyimpic arms used to build the The 22 Spitfire many years ago, probly still does. I used to have a Iver Johnson in 22 spitfire it shot ok for 150 yds shots.

I have one laying here in my office with the original receipt for $17.50 and $2.50 shipping and handling, appears to possibly be unissued (Saginaw SG)

The last great gasp on cheap carbines was a load which came over from Korea in about '88. We did a group buy and got a case for $130 per carbine. They were ones which the 7th ID turned over to the Koreans back when, and the Koreans were replacing them. There was some flap because the Koreans were selling guns in the US which we had given them.

I have one laying here in my office with the original receipt for $17.50 and $2.50 shipping and handling, appears to possibly be unissued (Saginaw SG)

If you want to multiply your investment by a factor of 10, contact me:)

Clemson

I also had one from the DCM that I paid $17.50. It was brand new with the inspection stickers. I gave it to a friend who has since passed away. I wish I stll had it.

Back