Lyman Borescope

27-T

Gentlemen - Has anyone had any experience with the Lyman Borescope, recently released? Before spending a couple hundred bucks, I'd appreciate any pro's and con's on it's performance. The price makes it very attractive but does it do what a borescope was meant to do?

Thanks for your input,

Jim
27-T

Go to the accuratereloading.com forum and go to the custom rifle or gunsmith forum. speerchucker has photos looking through a $20 endoscope.

they work very well but would benefit from stabilizing the tube/rod. do a search it has been discussed

As already said, the resolution is not the best and also it would benefit from a stabilization in the bore.
But you can actually see a lot!

Be careful

This is from personal experience. The mirror/camera is like a dust magnet. Any little dust particle will be magnified. If you try to clean the mirror with the enclosed Q tips, it will only make the problem worse. Fibers will catch on the sides of the opening for the mirror/camera. Buy yourself a can of compressed air. The type used for cleaning computer keyboards. Use that to remove dust particles. BTW the enclosed Q tips will not fit into the opening, anyway.
If you have to clean the mirror/camera, I found a small piece of paper towel (just the edge of it folded over) wetted with the lens cleaning solution, "gently" moved across the mirror works well for removing stuff on the mirror/camera. Use a bore guide to keep the camera centered
AND
If you just cleaned the barrel, make darn sure it is dry before you stick the bore cam in. Getting any of the cleaning products on the mirror will ruin it. The reflective surface of the mirror is not protected.

The lens/tip came with a cover. if the cam is not in a bore, the cover is on.
I have said before, it is a tool and only as good as the user.
Learn how to use it.
I have great pics of the screwed up throat on the rifle i returned.
The cam paid for itself on the very first rifle i used it on.

i really do not understand those that claim they cannot see.
This is from personal experience. The mirror/camera is like a dust magnet. Any little dust particle will be magnified. If you try to clean the mirror with the enclosed Q tips, it will only make the problem worse. Fibers will catch on the sides of the opening for the mirror/camera. Buy yourself a can of compressed air. The type used for cleaning computer keyboards. Use that to remove dust particles. BTW the enclosed Q tips will not fit into the opening, anyway.
If you have to clean the mirror/camera, I found a small piece of paper towel (just the edge of it folded over) wetted with the lens cleaning solution, "gently" moved across the mirror works well for removing stuff on the mirror/camera. Use a bore guide to keep the camera centered
AND
If you just cleaned the barrel, make darn sure it is dry before you stick the bore cam in. Getting any of the cleaning products on the mirror will ruin it. The reflective surface of the mirror is not protected.

I've been very happy with mine so far. I do have a couple shadows most of the time but they don't seem to be too much of a hindrance.
o6UqnRb.jpg

I think for the money they're well worth it. They sure open your eyes to things I wasn't able too see before.
Keith

Bore scopes are valuable tools,when trying to distinguish a new unfired barrel from a barrel that has had numerous rounds fired through the bore.

Glenn

in this pic you can clearly see that the reamer has cut thru the land
and has cut into the bbl.

at the opposite land, almost no cut at all

Attachments

• 300wsm4.jpg
    300wsm4.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 506
in this pic you can clearly see that the reamer has cut thru the land
and has cut into the bbl.

at the opposite land, almost no cut at all

Looks like the reamer was not adequately centered.

Part of a land looks removed bt not the matching part of the next.

Pilot size mismatch.

Very resolution limited image.

remington tried to change the bbl , but evidently they failed at that, so they sent me a new rifle.
hard to argue with pictures.

Looks like the reamer was not adequately centered.

Part of a land looks removed bt not the matching part of the next.

Pilot size mismatch.

Very resolution limited image.

maybe you could post some hawkeye or ebay.amazon endoscope pics we could compare to ??

Enough money tied up in things to neither desire nor need a camera suitable for my hawkeye.

Find a local person and go look.

With a hawkeye you can easily see the slightest defects.

I have a Hawkeye and Lyman bore scopes. The Hawkeye is better to see fine detail but the Lyman is faster and easier to use.

I use the Lyman more than the Hawkeye, but when looking at something for the best detail I use the Hawkeye.

For cleaning effectiveness the Lyman works fine.

Back