Lt 30

tim

Folks, any thoughts by those using LT 30 in the 6PPC ?
It looks like several have been using both 32 & 30, I have been shooting 32 a fair amount but got some 30 and am interested for any opinions as to what types of temps and humidity prompt one to lean toward the 30 with 65-66 grain bullets.
Thanks in advance for any comments.

I have talked to people who favor 30 just on results, without reference to conditions. If you have some, the reason that you have not worked up a load is? Jump in and give it a try, I think that you will like it.

I have talked to people who favor 30 just on results, without reference to conditions. If you have some, the reason that you have not worked up a load is? Jump in and give it a try, I think that you will like it.

Where did you infer that from my post ?
No matter what I'm doing, for me, it's new and part of the process is any/all opinions.
I am simply inquiring about anybody's " boots on the ground" thoughts.

Sorry, sometimes I forget that when posting people cannot see ones facial expression. It was intended as a friendly poke, not as an insult. Getting past that if we can, I have had a couple of people tell me that they like it better that 32 for the PPC, I think that if you do a workup that you are likely to come to the same conclusion since these are people whose opinions I trust. I hope that you come back and share your experiences with it.
Boyd

It does not like cold weather much, ask jimp.

Folks, any thoughts by those using LT 30 in the 6PPC ?
It looks like several have been using both 32 & 30, I have been shooting 32 a fair amount but got some 30 and am interested for any opinions as to what types of temps and humidity prompt one to lean toward the 30 with 65-66 grain bullets.
Thanks in advance for any comments.

Sorry, sometimes I forget that when posting people cannot see ones facial expression. It was intended as a friendly poke, not as an insult. Getting past that if we can, I have had a couple of people tell me that they like it better that 32 for the PPC, I think that if you do a workup that you are likely to come to the same conclusion since these are people whose opinions I trust. I hope that you come back and share your experiences with it.
Boyd

No problem Boyd.
I have loads, but it's still cold here in the N.E. My curiosity stems from the fact [from what I hear] is that, while hotter, it seems to prefer warmer weather, as in 80 ish.
That said, one of our guys has been shooting it in our winter league and has shot pretty good in mid 30's temps. Makes me wonder if colder/wetter is a lot better than colder/drier.
Seems to be varying opinions between Western and Eastern shooters.

Last edited:
I've tested it some in upper 30s to 50s. I didn't see anything remarkable in accuracy. I had heavier bolt lift than Lt32 or 133 at the same velocity shot over a labradar

Powder

If there was only one powder available for use in benchrest competition. Some competitors would figure out a way to make it work, some would not be so fortunate. Its just the nature of the sport. These are my personal observations during the last 19 years of enjoying the Sport of Benchrest competition. I have never tried LT-30,but its on my list of things to do. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I had lunch with a friend yesterday, who has been shooting Benchrest 47 years. It would be nice if some of these old timers would chime in on some these discussions and share their real world experiences.

Glenn

I haven't tried it in my PPC, but have shot LT-30 almost exclusively in my .30 Stingray (improved .30 Major, 40 degree shoulder moved ahead another 0.035"). As others have suggested, it wants light neck tension (0.002" or less). I've used it in conditions ranging from 17 to 90 degrees and 40% humidity to a straight downpour. It holds tune well and meters like a dream. I intend to play with it in my 6 PPC soon.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Both Larry White and Bart Sauter use quite a bit of LT30, I do too but mix it with 32. Larry and Bart have had quite a bit of success, Larry wouldn't comment on how much of it he uses except it's HOT, HOT, HOT. A guy at Norco asked Larry one day what he was shooting, Larry told him and told him not to shoot it in his rifle, the guy persisted and finally Larry gave him a round, don't know if Norm got his bolt open yet but he didn't shoot it again that weekend. LOL

Bart has told me he weighs his charges because it likes to be shot hot but a little too hot causes problems, don't think he'll tell you his load either. If I was going the lt30 route I'd work up to it.

Bob White suggested LT-30 and LT-32 for my 6PPC and also mixing it 50/50 by weight to get LT-31. Still working with N133 so far.

Bob

Tim, what knd of load density were you using ?
I was working up to a little above 3400 where I sometimes shoot Lt32 and 133. It took 28grains of Lt30 to get there in this barrel it gave a noticeable heavier bolt lift at 3410 than 32 or 133 I shot it all that day
2010 lot of 133 lot 10 of Lt32
lot 37 of Lt30
.0015 neck tension shot at touch

Last edited:
If there was only one powder available for use in benchrest competition. Some competitors would figure out a way to make it work, some would not be so fortunate. Its just the nature of the sport. These are my personal observations during the last 19 years of enjoying the Sport of Benchrest competition. I have never tried LT-30,but its on my list of things to do. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I had lunch with a friend yesterday, who has been shooting Benchrest 47 years. It would be nice if some of these old timers would chime in on some these discussions and share their real world experiences.

Glenn

Exactly why the thread. i 've been shooting 32 for over a year now so I'm kind of in the neighborhood but figured " what the hey", let's see if we can shake a little fruit outta them trees.
Thanks Glen

Back