LRPV opinions?

TrxR

Anyone here have any experience with the Savage LRPV in a .223? If so how would you rate it? I a looking at one to buy i the spring. My other option is a BVSS. I only really need a single shot as this will strictly be a target rifle. I was also thinking about going with a 1 in 7 twist so when I want to reach further out I can. Any negatives with going with the 1 in 7?

Thanks

1in7 twist .223

1 in & twist will work for 80grs and 90grs. That would make a nice rig for 600yards. In theory out to 1,000 yards. Beyond 600 its tricky.

Would I have any problems shooting say 69grs or even something slighlty lighter for shooting 100-300yrds?

1 in 7 twist .223

You maybe able to shoot 69grs. 77grs would be nice out to 300 but since its a singleshot anyway why not shoot 80grs ( I like the berger)?
I can't say the results you would get with lighter bullets. You may want to consider a 1 in 8 twist barrel which would do 69grs,upto 80grs and perhaps lighter.

Savage ?

I can tell you that I just got the same rifle in the 6mmbr with the 12 twist and it is absolutely the most accurate factory rifle I have ever laid my hands on. In my opinion it would walk all over a Remington 40X at three times the money. Maybe I just got extremely lucky but almost every load combo I have tried is agging in the 3's at 100 yards with some nice 2's thrown in to make it really interesting!
This rifle is also available in the 6mmbr with an 8 twist. I'm sure the .223 is a good choice but for what you are wanting to do the 6mmbr 8 twist would be just the ticket with some Berger 105's or 107 SMK's.

lrpv

I've got 2 LRPV's... one in .223 and one in .22-250, both are 9 twist.
They are both excellent varmint rifles, and both are decent target rifles.
Certainly not on the same plane as a benchrest gun though, but still good target rifles.
I got mine for PD's, and they certainly fill the bill for that.
paul

I bought a LRPV in .223 1-7" twist to shoot in factory class competition at 500M.
I wanted that twist specifically to shoot 80 gr. Berger VLD's. With a stiff load of Varget and Wolf SRM's, it works well out to 300. Beyond that distance, the wind can play ell with it. Reading the wind at long distance is not my forte, but most any caliber/twist/bullet combo will present the same challenge.

I've got the LRPV in 223, it's a regular winner in club match's @ MGGOA Twin Oaks Range in Dublin Ga, Lapua brass, any 52-53 gr bullet and a dose of N-133, I've got the same gunin 22-250, again, it's a real shooter too, been thinking about the same puppy in 6mmBR,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

I've never shot an LRPV so I can't comment on that....however I do have a .223 with a 7 twist. It shoots everything I stuff in it including the 40 grainers up to the 90 grainers. Actually, it seems to like the 60 grain Hornady VMax better than the 69 Sierra Match King. For me the 7 twist has been very versatile.

Got it. In 1:7 .223 Rem.
But, after getting a Custom 6PPC. I don't shoot it much.
Should be good for PD. Cheaper to shoot. Add a forend adapter to shoot off a front rest.
Local club matches, 16 week league. 200y. score for 200 points. 2nd place Factory class. :)
And no wind flags. :eek:

I got one!

Anyone here have any experience with the Savage LRPV in a .223? If so how would you rate it? I a looking at one to buy i the spring. My other option is a BVSS. I only really need a single shot as this will strictly be a target rifle. I was also thinking about going with a 1 in 7 twist so when I want to reach further out I can. Any negatives with going with the 1 in 7?

Thanks

69grn Sierra MK, 69grn Nosler CC, 77grn Nosler CC all shoot sub-moa at 100yds. Currently developing loads for 75grn Hornady AMax and 80grn Sierra.
No, the LRPV 1 in 7 is NOT a benchrest gun but I do enjoy shooting it and the satisfaction it gives me.:eek::eek:

I know the LRPV is not a bench gun. I am just getting into the sport of shooting. It will mainly be for fun no competition. But I should be able to learn alot shooting it then I can upgrade the stock and barrell down the road.

Thanks

Find a club. And go to their matches. Most have a Factory class.
On match day. Everyone is welcome. Member or not.
Don't let anyone talk you out of it.
Some guy at work tried that crap. :mad:

Last edited:
I know the LRPV is not a bench gun. I am just getting into the sport of shooting. It will mainly be for fun no competition. But I should be able to learn alot shooting it then I can upgrade the stock and barrell down the road.

Yes and yes.....

Find a club. And go to their matches. Most have a Factory class.
On match day. Everyone is welcome. Member or not.
Don't let anyone talk you out of it.

Yes again.... TON of fun..!

TrxR,
For all practical purposes a little skim bedding and these rifles can REALLY perk-up......!
Savage typically turnes out darn fine .22 cal barrels... Out of, Oh.... 15-20 factory .22 barrels from Savage, 1-7 through 1-12 skinny tubes and varmint contour.... I have only known of one true turd.....

Just helped a new shooter pick out a fine LRPV .223 1-9twist for 100-300 shooting and aft a tight skim bed and 69gr Sierras, 60gr HP Sierras and 60gr V-max.............. Honest .500 aggs...
A new target shooter having fun...... Maby a new Benchrest shooter...

Good times,
cale

Back