Lot mixing of powder

Vern

Morethan1waytoskinacat
I am interested in mixing to bottles of N133.
Last years jug reads

This years jug reads

I have about 2 1/2 lbs of the old jug and wanted to add it to the new 8lb jug to shoot this next season so I dont have to switch back and forth.

Does anyone know of any problems in doing this?

As long as it gets mixed well, i dont see any problems. I bet you wont even tell a difference. Actually see if you can see a difference after you mix. Take your reloading notes from each batch of powder and compare them after you mix. I would be interested in knowing what you find, Lee

Lee I have not shot the new jug. Just got it in yesterday.
Its the same year just a diff day and month.
I dont know what the other numbers are except maybe actual lot numbers.
Thanks

I just love " I think it will be OK", or "Hold my beer, and watch this".Seem's a shortage of "You'sta do it all the time".

I just love " I think it will be OK", or "Hold my beer, and watch this".Seem's a shortage of "You'sta do it all the time".

"I think it'll be OK" in this case is a tuning issue, not a safety issue. Ain't no rednekkidness innit. Mixing your old lot into your new lot is standard among some, I mix mine when my jugs get down to a pound or so and since I almost never fire a preloaded round I just feel my way along day to day. It's rare to see a difference of more than 15-30fps between powder batches in match loads but sometimes that's enough to bugger a marginal tune. And sometimes over years the stuff'll drift 50-80fps. My one exception is 4831, I've gone through 4 different 8 pounders and a ten over the course of about 10yr (I don't shoot a whole lot of 4831) and have found a pretty sizable variance between to old stuff, the short cut and the new stuff....like 150fps. BUT, recent work by HBC suggests to me that this may be an age-related phenomenon not a mixture problem. The 10-yr-old stuff is 'hotter' per weight.

And BTW folks here routinely mix completely different powders, many matches are won using custom ho'made "duplex" recipes.

al

Fear not. I yousta do it all the time. 131.5 was one of my favorites for the WalDog.

scorpio

If I were to load 10 rounds exactly the same weight, all from the same jug,and shoot two seperate groups, the groups would very likely not be the same size and very likely not at the exact same location on the target.

Update: You beat me to it whilst I was typing!

Last edited by a moderator:
CANISTER POWDER IS ALL THE SAME( of a name or number..as in n133) WITHIN MANUFACTURES TOLERANCE.....(dont we wish it was exactly the same!)
it is why reloading manuals work.
not perfectly the same, but safely the same.....

mike in co

vern,
to get a good mix, use several jugs/bottles mixing some of each, then mix the mixes together..... ...shaken not stirred....no olive.....
my biggest mix was 4 8lbers of milsurplus, all different lots.....long slow task but ended up with a single lot...that worked well.

mike in co

Thanks guys.
Was not sure if there was any worry about settling in the future due to grain density.
I guess I just need to reshake them before use.

Vern,
I do it all the time but I use a method that I would suggest you follow. I got this from a chemistry class so long ago that the periodic table has changed a lot...
Start by mixing a small amount of both powders. Mix that with twice as much of both powders and keep repeating until all is well mixed.
My current powder (N133) that I use is composed of 3 different years' worth and I am not in the least worried about the performance. I load by weigth and it works well.
Larry Costa

Vern. You might have a point about settling....Open a bag of Potato chips.
Better Made chips. Made in Detroit, MI. 21 Miles away. Big chips still settle at the top.
Lays made in Texas(Maybe so. Maybe no). Big chips are on top. 1139 miles to Dallas.
As many chips as Lay's sells. They gotta have more than one plant.
Just like Bud.

Last edited:
Different loading densities

Unless the densities are exactly the same between old and new powder the likelyhood both batches will remain mixed togeather is small. It will only require the smallest density difference to exist between each bottle and time along with movement will again separate them. It won't cause you any harm but in the long run it will achieve nothing.
Andy.

Powder manufacturers routinely mix and blend different lots of powders in order to maintain reasonable ballistic similarities from year to year. How do they do that without encountering the potato chip syndrome?? Answer - there is no such thing as powder settling and/or forming layers with different burning rates. It's a myth. If you think such a thing actually happens, I challenge you to prove it. I'll remain unconvinced until you do.

JMHO

Ray

I'm with Ray! WHAT a load of crap....fencing with shadows here...

Unless you're trucking your powder over-the-road on unsprung trailers "settling out" ain't an issue.

As Skeet sez, shake the bloody can!

LOL

al

Hello Francis long time no hear.
Mine is mixing lots not diff powders, though I do remember that was being tried with several diff vit powders back around 2003 in the Denton area by several but I guess because you dont hear much about it now that it didnt work out to well.
This example being a good reason.

Back