Looking For Norma 22 PPC Brass

VarmintGuy

I am in need of some Norma 22 PPC brass - preferrably unfired.
If anyone has a suggestion where I might find some please inform me.
Either through this forum or at my E-mail address: VarmintGuy@aool.com
Thanks in advance for any help.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

DR4NRA: Thank you very much - with your help in finding the brass it will sure help in getting me up and Varminting by next spring!
At nearly a buck apiece I am going to keep a real close eye on that stuff when I am afield!
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

LOL VG the price is one reason I havent been buying Norma for my swift and 22.250. I think that 80 cents for Nosler is damn ridiculous, and a Buck a pop for Norma is just plain out of the ballpark. But at least with the Nosler everything is done, from weighing, to primer pockets, to flash holes. Just load em up. But still damn ridiculous.

Glad I could help. Enjoy and good shooting.

DR

Huntingtons and cabelos have it or they did about 6 monts ago

what needs to be done to 220 Russian brass to make it into 22PPC?

DR4NRA, did you check your Nosler? I bought 50 pcs of STW, man was I disappointed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

AvanGorder here is a link for your question too much to explain here

http://www.6mmbr.com/6PPC.html

DD yes I have checked the Nosler brass, which is why I dont buy it anymore, weigh sorted RP brass comes in about the same per 100, I usually get 52 to 55 out of a bag that are within +-2 grs, the same as the 50 lots I got from Nosler. Worth the price diffrence, No, I will save the 50 cents per piece and do the rest myself. That is also why I am leery of Norma, at 1.00 each is it really worth it ? I dont think the Pdog or coyote is really going to care. In VGs case, the caliber pretty much dictates whos brass you buy. Which I do believe is limited to Lapua or Norma, Now dont go flaming my tail feathers if this is incorrect.

Good Shooting
DR

DR4NRA: No flaming from here - I am ignorant of the real world what to do's and how to do it's regarding the 22 PPC's reloading regimens.
I appreciate any and all information I can get my hands on.
I have a couple of Varminters in 22 Remington Bench Rest (Remington 40XB-BR's) and a custom Varminter in 6mm Remington Bench Rest along with an amazingly accurate factory stock Sako heavy barrel bolt action single shot Rifle in 6mm PPC but the 22 PPC is completely new to me.
And I only have one friend that owns a 22 PPC and he is 650 miles west of me and is not "computer literate".
So I am on my own learning about the 22 PPC.
I am, though, in no hurry as its intended useage is not needed until next April (Colony Varminting).
I did converse with a Bench Rest competitor some years ago and he was of the mind that in "no wind" conditions and at ranges of 100 and 200 yards the BR quality 22 PPC he was shooting was a tiny bit more accurate than his various 6mm PPC BR Rifles.
That opinion/experience has stuck in my mind.
I, am seeking accuracy, with a 6.5x20 power variable scope and Varmint "friendly" type bullets - of at or just under .500 groups (5 shots at 100 yards) if I achieve that in moderately perky loadings I will be as happy as a giant clam!

CHeetahman: Thank you for the Huntington tip - I just came from their website and they have the 22 PPC Norma brass at $82.00 per 100 pieces!
Thanks again - as I was worried that I could not get any additional Norma 22 PPC brass to add to the small batch that came with my unfired Rifle.
Worries allayed!

Thanks again all - for any and all help with the 22 PPC.

I am headed to DR4NRA's link regarding reforming (relaoding) the 22 PPC now.

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

An over-view from an un-credited source on the 22 PPC:

The world of benchrest shooting has kept many lesser known cartridges in popularity. Mainly because there have been a many number of cartridges that have had excellent performance but have suffered in popularity either because of personal views on caliber size or the basic need for humans for "more power". In 1975 Dr. Lou Palmisano and the gunsmith Ferris Pindell modified the 220 Russian cartridge to create a new wildcat cartridge. They took the Russian case and reduced the case taper to a mere 10 degrees and took the shoulder angle up to 30 degrees. Along with the case dimensional changes they also used a smaller primer pocket with a smaller flash hole than normally used in these types of cartridges. The start of the 22 PPC cartridge began with the obscure Russian 220 target cartridge that was modified from the ever famous 7.62x39mm cartridge. Actually the shorter stubby case happened to be perfectly designed for the pressure of the ignition powder that was used in the smaller rifle primers. When Dr. Lou Palmisano and Ferris Pindell finished modifying the case they have just created one of the finest wildcat cartridges to ever come to the masses. The 22 PPC cartridge was an excellent benchrest and wildcat cartridge that boasted an impressive performance increase over the older benchrest cartridges. Just as history repeats, so does the age old fact of "in comes the new and old goes the old", the main difference here is that the 22 PPC cartridge may be old but it still offers an excellent performance increase for benchrest and in the wildcat areas of shooting sports.
During the first year of use for the 22 PPC cartridge collected a very large number of titles for winning benchrest competitions. This performance had simply surpassed the older 222 Remington cartridge, which quickly fell from its high position as benchrest king. The 22 PPC cartridge with its overall performance advantage over the other benchrest cartridges quickly took the top position for benchrest favorite. Not only was the 22 PPC cartridge great for benchrest competitions it also was a very deadly cartridge for varmint use, because of the efficient design of the overall cartridge, it falls in between the 223 and the 22-250 cartridges when compare in performance. Since the 22 PPC cartridge was introduced, many firearm manufacturers have started to produce firearms chambered for the 22 PPC cartridge. Sako imports many rifles chambered for the 22 PPC cartridge, and Wichita Precision builds some great rifles all chambered for the 22 PPC cartridge. A great number of custom gunsmiths also build some great rifles based on the 22 PPC cartridge, but for those with a shallower pocket there is always the Ruger line of rifles. Ruger has chambered some awesome rifles for the 22 PPC cartridge, and since Palmisano and Pindell have also developed a 6mm PPC based on the same case, but the 22 PPC has remain very popular, and both Sako and Norma import many cases and factory loaded ammunition.

The 22 PPC cartridge is still classified as a wildcat cartridge and because of the foreign nature of the cartridge there is actually no American pressure standards technically listed for the reloader for the 22 PPC cartridge. Dan Pawlak did do pressure research on the 22 PPC cartridge using electronic transducer equipment which listed the pressure around 55,000 PSI, but just like all things there are variations that occur. Many rifles do have variations in between them so for the home reloader working up the load must be taken very seriously and be done very carefully. The rifles build for benchrest shooting in this caliber tend to be really tight in the throats and necks and it comes highly recommended that the cases be turned or case failure can result. Even with these variations and rather vague information, it should not keep you from reloading the 22 PPC cartridge or shooting them for that matter. The 22 PPC cartridge is an excellent cartridge for any general use and with its performance will always be able to find a strong group of enthusiasts where ever rifle accuracy is concerned.

Some interesting tid-bits in there.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

After more research on this I think the answer to your question is that you need to expand the neck to accept .223 bullets instead of .220, after that it is nothing more than fire forming to blow out the case giving it less body taper and a shoulder angle of 30 degrees.

After more research on this I think the answer to your question is that you need to expand the neck to accept .223 bullets instead of .220, after that it is nothing more than fire forming to blow out the case giving it less body taper and a shoulder angle of 30 degrees.

Which is where I was headed originally. Why not just purchase Lapua 220 Russian brass, load it up with some junker .224 bullets and just pull the trigger of the 22PPC?

Adrian

AVanGorder: I thought the Norma 22 PPC brass was expensive - then I looked up the LaPua 220 Russian brass!
Norma 22 PPC @ $82 per 100 (Lock, Stock & Barrel)
LaPua 220 Russian @ $92.00 per 100! (Midway)
These prices do NOT include shipping.
I have 27 pieces of unfired Norma 22 PPC now and want 50 more for a total of 77 pieces. That should get me and keep me load testing and Varminting for a while.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Bingo VG When considering the freight, powder and time to reform the 220 russian, it does make the Norma brass seem to be the best way to go.:D

One thing I did read is that the Norma brass is considered to be less acceptable for BR due to the fact it doesnt hold up as well as the lapua 220 russian that has been blown out. Whether true or not dont know, the web site I read this on is down right now but will try to post the article later.

Good Shooting

DR

I see Bruno's has the .220 Russian brass listed at $66/100, if he has any.

Tom

Joe Ponto: Who is "we"?
Please provide a site link or an E-mail address or answer here - how much is that unfired Norma 22 PPC brass?
Thanks in advance.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Back