Looking for a good custom stock maker. Pictures...

VaniB

First off....to you guys who are bothered by such things.... YES, I admit that I ran this topic at one other websight too. Name that websight and you are a final contestant to win a wet mushy kiss. (from my labrador) :p

Does anybody happen to know a stock maker who can make me a custom wood or composition stock for a Remington 700 custom barreled action?

Here's 2 pics of a highly modified Remington HS stock. I sure wouldn't mind having another made just like it. But, it seems like most auto body repair guys don't happen to be expert rifle stock makers too! (I was lucky on the first go around to have happened to find such a craftsman who made this tan stock)

Attachments

• IMG_1039.jpg
    IMG_1039.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,216
  • IMG_1041.jpg
    IMG_1041.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 1,031
Last edited:
Butch,

The gentleman that made this tan stock has made many such custom stocks in previous years. He is supposed to make me another, and has been holding my new 22x47L barreled action and my black HS donor stock since November 17. I think he is a bit optimistic when he said to me "I will have it made in about two hours". But the point I am making is that these things evidently are just a "piece-of-cake" to him, and I think the price will be reasonable. I trust him, and did not ask for a price.

The problem is that he is really dragging his feet and will not start it. He doesn't seem to need the money and has other interests and priorities to distract him. I'm losing patience, as I would like to shoot my 22x47L some day before I die of old age.

Butch, I'm not sure what kind of stock you had in mind. I'm sure whomever is making it though, must have idea what it is worth to him in his energy and time. I'm interested if you can expound a bit on who or what you may have in mind.

If it were a competition rifle, I would contact Terry Leonard. If it is a rust blued and needs a triple aaa walnut, you could contact, Jim Kobe, James Anderson, or David Christman. Jim and James frequent this forum.
Butch

I'm looking for something that is less refined with a fleck finish and is suitable to put on my Hart rest for 1/4"- 3/8" MOA target shooting at 100 yards, or to shoot PD's out at 600 yards.

But, I really prefer something a bit more unique then the usual Remington factory stuff or stocks offered by McMillan, or HS. I've seen some nice target styled vented wood stocks offered by other rifle makers (like CZ) but they aren't made to fit a Remington.

I don't care for thumbhole stocks. And that eliminates a couple of choices.

Thanks for your help.
Randall

Yep.....the usual suspects.....Boyd's, Richard's, HS, McMillan, Stockey's, etc. Richard's has a lot of styles to choose from, but their products require final finish. I want something that is attractive, but doesn't look like it's built exclusively for benchrest.

Guys, once in a long while, an individual who is a craftsmen at this sought of thing (like with that tan modified HS stock in the photos)will post his services on these threads.....or you might happen to know such a person.

I want another stock just like this tan one I have, made in black. If you happen to know such a person, let me know please.

Custom stocks

Consider talking with Richard Franklin. http://www.richardscustomrifles.com/

I haven't owned any of his stocks but I have seen a few and they look and feel mighty nice. I think it all boils down to if you want composite or read wood. Composites require that molds be made and that means bulk numbers. They are several true craftsman that can make any thing you want out of wood. Even try it yourself and you will be more pleased with the final product.

My 2cents, tiny

Stock

Here's 2 pics of a highly modified Remington HS stock. I sure wouldn't mind having another made just like it. But, it seems like most auto body repair guys don't happen to be expert rifle stock makers too! (I was lucky on the first go around to have happened to find such a craftsman who made this tan stock)

That is one hell of a neat looking stock.

Lou Baccino

That is one hell of a neat looking stock.

Lou Baccino

Thanks Lou!...I think so too.

I was starting to wonder if it was really that awkward looking or impractical that everybody has stayed silent about it.

I have owned this rifle for a number of years and I have posted the picture before. But, you are the first person to EVER offer any sought of compliment or positive mention. I'm not only happy with the easthetics of it, but I'm delighted too that it gives me 1/4" 5 shot groups fairly consistantly when I do my part.

I guess I'll just wait a few more months more until the auto-body man/part time gun stock maker decides he's ready to build another for me.

Back