Loading for a match.

Terry Balding

Has anyone done a test on when to load for a 600yd BR Match?
Load same day? Days earlier? A week earlier?

Does it matter? Can you prove it?

Eager to learn.

Terry

For me it's too much to do it all in the same night. I hate weighing powder the most so I'll weigh up a bunch of charges a week or two ahead of time when I have a free evening and store it in little vials. I schedule a free evening 2 days ahead and size and prime cases only because I don't want to be setting at the loading bench for as long as it takes me to do it all. I'll seat all the bullets only the night before the shoot. This has been working well for me and I have read of too many instances of brass changing after being left to set for longer periods after sizing. But Hal Drake I think loads all his at the match between targets (we have paid target pullers in the pit) and tends to whip all our butts.
Larry

At the 2010 IBS 600 Nationals I was loading next to Glen Sterling, and when I was talking to him, he said that he spends the long South Dakota winters filling his powder vials for matches in the spring and summer. He would then prep his brass, prime and fill the cases from the vials, and seat bullets at the match. I can’t think of a better role model to follow.

Back