leupold scope question

G

gambler

what causes a black Leupold scope to fade out and the tube turn red, and will
Leupold fix this ?
i wonder if it's a counterfeit ?

Leupold (?)

gambler: if it's a Leupold there will be a serial number on the underside of the elev & wind. adjustment turret housing. I've never seen a genuine Leupold that did not have a number there. That was also the heads-up several years ago when "made in China" fakes were showing up, and I've never seen the blueing turn color.

I have seen some of the older Leupold scopes turn a purple color. Leupold has a custom shop and they may be able to re-anodize your scope.

Scope turning red

Ive seen some of the older blued scopes turn slightly....I think the china conterfits were high end scopes.
Jim

what causes a black Leupold scope to fade out and the tube turn red, and will
Leupold fix this ?
i wonder if it's a counterfeit ?

If it's an old one, they just do it (not really red, but purple type of color). If it's a newer one, it's probably counterfeit. Leupold may fix it for free but if not they'll only charge $85 for a brand new main tube. Then it looks new. Keep that in mind if you ever run across somebody offering a deal on one because it has a little dent in main tube.

it has a serial number underneath,55xxxx must be an old one...it's turning more purple than red..seller says it will be fixed free of charge, he called leupold...he says !!

Earl,
I have an older model 24X Leupold that's turned a purple shade, works as good as ever. I put it on the last BR rifle I put together to make 10.5 weight, and won 4 of the 6 targets I've shot with it so far. The purple color don't hurt it:)

I have 4 old Leos that are turning purple/red, it's just an age thing. I've talked with them and they do not do any refinish or reanodize work on their scopes. The finish is not under their lifetime warranty. You can find all this on their website.

Back