Leupold Premier scope

catmasher

catmasher
Just getting into benchrest shooting with the schuetzen group here. I picked up a older (i think) Leupold premier scope that says it 18-40 powder, question, there is a thing sticking out of the body at about 7 o'clock position, what is this used for?
What is your feeling of this scope?
What would have been a good price for something like this, it shows a little wear, but the optics is very clear all the way to 40X?
anything to watch out on this scope.

New to this kind of scope....thanks in advance.:confused:

catmasher

Your scope has been "boosted" a doubler has been installed by a gentleman at Premier who has since past away. The scope will work for benchrest, what kind of benchrest are you planning to shoot? The scope would work best for long range work but can be used for short range. Welcome to the maddness! Who are the schuetzen group?

Your scope has been "boosted" a doubler has been installed by a gentleman at Premier who has since past away. The scope will work for benchrest, what kind of benchrest are you planning to shoot? The scope would work best for long range work but can be used for short range. Welcome to the maddness! Who are the schuetzen group?

We shoot 200 yards benchrest and 200 standing both with scope and open sights.

Still don't know what the thingy sticking out at 7 o'clock on the scope is for...

help cat

Its a reticle locking screw or something of that nature. Loosen it to adjust scope and then tighten when done. Scope should work just fine.

MAC

Catmasher it would work very well for 200yd Schuetzen / Plainbase cast bullet competition, I use a 12X42 NightForce BR and it never comes off 40X for bench work and 18X would work fine for the offhand matches.

J.Louis

John, I bought one of those Hoch NP molds that you like so much, it was the MOST ^&*(%#$$%&( sob that I have ever tried to cast with, gone back to my Ron Long mold....

I think I like this scope better than my March 40x...

catmasher

sticking in the mold.
i tried everything to fix it, cleaned it REAL good, took off the sharp edges, scrubed again, degreased it with carb fluid, swore many fowl words and just gave up on it, I had to beat the sh88 out of it to drop. It really did shot good the ones that came out.
I just got a really bad one this time...
stick, stick, pound, pound, pound
the cat

The scope would work best for long range work but can be used for short range. Welcome to the maddness! Who are the schuetzen group?

Used to see lots of these at short range BR matches. I myself owned 3, great scopes. Weak point was the small leaf spring that pushed against the erector tube I never knew they could be Tuckerized, that would make it a great scope. Only down side might be if it needed repair, if Leupold worked on it it would probably come back a 6.5 to 20x which is what it started out life as.

Dick

Back