Leupold Carbon Fiber Competition Scope

333smitty

Tomball Gun Club
A while back there was some discussion about Leupold coming out with a new carbon fiber competition scope.

I believe that Allen Tucker had a prototype version he was using one in competition. Has anyone seen it at any recent matches?

Can ayone provide a update on this new carbon fiber scope?

Thanks.

There were 4 different configurations of the carbon fiber body benchrest scopes sent out to test in 2008. These were designs using their military scope technology. As to these target scopes, that project is on hold for now or was a few months ago.

There were 4 different configurations of the carbon fiber body benchrest scopes sent out to test in 2008. These were designs using their military scope technology. As to these target scopes, that project is on hold for now or was a few months ago.

Thanks for the update Jerry.....

Do you have any idea how much they weighed in at?

I had heard that the carbon fiber prototypes actually weighed a bit more than the 'normal' LCS. This is unconfirmed of course, but any more weight in a scope is more weight that has to come off the barrel. There would be no other place that I could remove any off my rig.

Leupold have been evaluating alternative materials for the scope body for a number of years. One objective was to achieve a scope which was more stable when subjected to temperature changes. The aluminum bodies expand and contract a surprising amount and can both affect the scope as it "grows" and put stresses into the action.

I no longer have contacts in the company who are privy to the details, but I suspect that they are concerned about the performance of the scope body when subjected to impact forces. Although potentially light and strong, carbon fiber parts are somewhat more subject to catastrophic failures than other materials...and then there is the matter of cost.

Back