Least expensive spotting scope that could see a 22 caliber hole at 200 yards?

M

MLS2GO

I would like to be able see a 22 caliber hole at 200 yards without using a spatter target. I of course don't want to pay more than I need to, but on the other hand don't want to waste money on a scope that can't see it either. Thanks for any help you can give.

IMO, what you mount the scope on is just as important as the scope. You can have the best scope money can buy, put it on a cheap wobbly tripod, and you have nothing.

Wayne is right on

IMO, what you mount the scope on is just as important as the scope. You can have the best scope money can buy, put it on a cheap wobbly tripod, and you have nothing.

regarding the need for a good, robust tripod. Regarding the scope, the Kowa scopes are very nice and I would think one of their 60 or 66mm scopes and a variable eyepiece would do the trick under most conditions. Remember that on some days mirage will be so bad, most any scope will struggle with a small caliber bullet hole at 200 yards. Some of the worst mirage conditions I've seen have been on cold, sunny Winter days with the IR radiation being reflected off the snow pack. Counterintuitive, but true.

Good quality scopes and eyepieces, both the glass and the tube assemblies are not cheap. You truly do get what you pay for in an optic. Good luck.

and target color is a big factor.
black is the worst if the light is not just right.
it is the other way around, spend more than you think you can afford.

I would like to be able see a 22 caliber hole at 200 yards without using a spatter target. I of course don't want to pay more than I need to, but on the other hand don't want to waste money on a scope that can't see it either. Thanks for any help you can give.

I do not mean to rain on your parade but on a nice clear day any half decent spotting scope will do what you want. But on a hot, sunny, summer, day what you ask can be a tall order. The best scope you can possibly afford is what you need and it may not do what you want.

I do not mean to rain on your parade but on a nice clear day any half decent spotting scope will do what you want. But on a hot, sunny, summer, day what you ask can be a tall order. The best scope you can possibly afford is what you need and it may not do what you want.

Actually that's good to hear, thanks.

I had a cheap Leupold scope (one made in China). It was ok, when the light conditions were favorable.

Last year I invested in a Kowa scope. Really beautiful glass, focus not nearly touchy as the cheap Leupold scope. Much much much better visibility under unfavorable conditions. Expensive, yep, but worth it. The cheap scopes just don't always get the job done.

I have a Swift model 841 which I have used for over 40 years.I have compared it to every thing on the line at the Super Shoot and it is not the best but it gets the job done. I just picked up a spare on ebay for $75. What is mandatory is a solid tripod. I use a Samson which I also got on ebay for about $100. The main thing is you can put a $2000 scope on a shakey cheap mount and you won't see much. My two cents worth.
Brush

spotting scope

Years ago I bought a Weaver spotting scope on a close out sale. It turned out to be a re badged Kawa. I could not clearly see .22 holes on the target at 200 yards. I sold it on EBay and bought a Mead ETX-90 spotting scope for less then $100. It is the stripped down version of there astronomical telescope. It is not little and cute like the big dollar ones but works great. Even better when I upgraded the $10 eye piece that came with it. The only down side is you need a really stout tripod to support it. Weaver built them for a while then dropped them. The Celestron C90 Mak Spotting Scope May be the equivalent. But they may be going away also.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/celestron-c90-mak-spotting-scope.html

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2101965&highlight=etx+90#post2101965

I am looking for an old video camera tripod to support mine. Ebay, Craig's list

Everything turns into a quest with me.

Good hunting.

Really appreciate all the feedback. I haven't shot much rifle in over 20 years and many of the names and quality of the brands have changed. Thanks for the continued help.

Put a 'Go Pro' or similar camera in front of your target. 5.4GHz, +1Km range and maybe cheaper than a spotting scope. Watch on a tablet or even your phone.

Depends on your local range rules, but a deflector plate is advisable.

My local (Oz) club is still debating electronic shooting aids but I may have them convinced with my argument that it's only a new way to inspect targets, it does not affect accuracy.That's up to the nut behind the butt! In a few years this could become the normal way to do things - Just have to convince a few Luddites.

* doghunter *

Go buy a bushnell spacemaster variable. It is fairly cheap, bullerproof, and you can see .22 holes at 300 yards.

d not believe everything you read.
target color and position to available lighting means a lot.

Go buy a bushnell spacemaster variable. It is fairly cheap, bullerproof, and you can see .22 holes at 300 yards.

40 mm 15 to 40 x i think.....
i may still have it.
yes i could see 22 holes at 200 WHEN CONDITIONS WERE CORRECT.
no back lighting, no way

I have a Bushnell 25X 60mm with a good table stand. I can see 22 holes at 200 yards if they are there. It is a treasured gift from my mother and I have had it for nearly 60 years. I think 40X might be better but 60x will dim the image.

I have used this to see the rings on Saturn, the moons of Jupiter, lunar and solar eclispes, and many star clusters. I have gotten my mother's money worth over and over.

There are some great deals on spotting scopes on eBay.

Back