learned the hard way

When shooting a 100 yd. agg I didn't think my one gun was shooting like it should. I got my other gun out of a hot enclosed truck and shot the last group. Bad decision because the glued in action came loose during the group.
In the next agg. I went back to the original gun with the scope off the hot gun because I had more faith in it. They are both Pandas. The first shot didn't hit the paper. I have switched the scopes back and forth between both guns and there was hardly any change of impact.
My question is could the heat in the truck screwed the scope up to? 45X Leu.

Thank for any input,
Bob

In 2012 at Holton IBS Nationals. The stock weight came loose in my Grizzly 2. Threw a shot 1/2". I heard it. The rattle. So did Wayne Campbell.
Should have borrowed a gun. But, time was short. Went to sighter. Guesstamated...Not too bad.....it was in between.
Could not get the big alum. screw out. Had the tools at home.
Anyway. I moved that scope to my Bat. Same bullets. Hottenstein 2009. The next match. Sight in was close, to what I like. Real close.
So I kept swapping back and forth. But, as both barrels got older. Point of impact moved. Last time 4". And I stopped being a cheap guy and bought another Leupold 45X.
It was good I had Davis bases and Kelbly rings. Lowell H. recommended this. Dwight made it happen. I also had some shim stock to fit in the groove to make the clamp spread out.....by reversing the screws...

My answer. Both my barrels were Krieger. And about the same number of rounds. Same bullets. Same charge...
Cars can get really hot. 90° outside-140° inside.....Scope construction, aluminum, glass, rubber, and plastic. All will expand when heated.

When shooting a 100 yd. agg I didn't think my one gun was shooting like it should. I got my other gun out of a hot enclosed truck and shot the last group. Bad decision because the glued in action came loose during the group.
In the next agg. I went back to the original gun with the scope off the hot gun because I had more faith in it. They are both Pandas. The first shot didn't hit the paper. I have switched the scopes back and forth between both guns and there was hardly any change of impact.

Thank for any input,
Bob

Bob, depending on the glue that was used. It can get really hot inside a enclosed vehicle sitting in the sun.

My thoughts, the bedding might have already been compromised a bit, the heat heat was the final blow.

As for the scope, it is primarily a mechanical device. But, those Leupold Competition Scopes do have a erector tube pivot that is some type of non metallic material, possibly delren. That is subseptible to heat.

Bob - you don't have any choice at this point even if the scope is not goofed up. Sell it and buy another because it will forever be on your mind. Tell whoever is interested the whole story if you want to...they don't care!

Quite a while back I experimented by setting up my rail gun with a black scope in the sun. I aimed at the mothball at 100 yards and took the towel off that was covering the scope. Within minutes the cross hairs were already tracking away from my original aim point. The cross hairs ended up about 2 inches from the original aim point. They very slowly tracked back once I covered the scope with the white towel.

Learned the hard way, parallax and scope focus are because of heat and sun. Everything is depended on heat, the higher the heat the longer the scope. The parallax is depended on scope length, everything being equal, therefore set your scopes parallax every time you set up at the bench.

Bob, depending on the glue that was used. It can get really hot inside a enclosed vehicle sitting in the sun.

My thoughts, the bedding might have already been compromised a bit, the heat heat was the final blow.

As for the scope, it is primarily a mechanical device. But, those Leupold Competition Scopes do have a erector tube pivot that is some type of non metallic material, possibly delren. That is subseptible to heat.

Numerous lenses are actually made by cementing two pieces of glass together.
It is normally a very solid bond but a high enough temperature can still separate them.

Depending on the design of the lens holding it might no make any difference.
Many lenses have rings front and back to hold them in place.

I had my gunsmith reglue it and with the same scope I shot a teen agg. winning the LV 100 yd. this weekend. I also came in 3rd in the two gun. So I hope all is well.
Thanks
Brush

Bob

Thank for any input,
Bob

In my opinion yes, heat can affect a scopes internals. Hot enough to expand metal and strange things can happen. Just a .001 shift in the erector tube can make a big difference on the target 100 yards away. I try always to keep my rifle in the shade. One can't do anything about ambient air temps, but you can keep the rifle/scope out of the scorching sun. imho and what I believe I have experienced in the past.

Back