laupa flash hole

what is the scoop on the lapua flash hole. I have some new brass and the flash hole is smaller than a small decaping pin. My last batch of brass I didn't even think about it ,I just trued up the flash hole and went to shooting. these flash holes are little. is there a extra-small decaping pin for these scamps? 220 to make 6ppc and 6.5x47 to make 30x47 lapua ( I shoot hunter class )

The Lapua Small Primer Flash Hole has always been a tad under 1/16 inch, it is actually a metric size, 1.5 mm, I think.

I was under the impression that all major Die Manufacturers made their decapping pins to accomadate this. From time to time, Lapua does make them a little bigger. I have always just ran a 1/16 drill through all of mine, and it usually takes just a small amount out. But, I have had batches that the drill slipped in with no interderence........jackie

Last edited:
what is the scoop on the lapua flash hole. I have some new brass and the flash hole is smaller than a small decaping pin. My last batch of brass I didn't even think about it ,I just trued up the flash hole and went to shooting. these flash holes are little. is there a extra-small decaping pin for these scamps? 220 to make 6ppc and 6.5x47 to make 30x47 lapua ( I shoot hunter class )
At one time the Lapua 220 Russian had a flash lohe of 1.5MM (0.059"). Several of us contacted them and they changed the hole to 1/16" (0.0625") and that fixed the problem for the 220 Russian. You may want to contact them about your brass (they are a metric based country you know).

I use a .o64 reamer with a guide on all of em. Even with that some cut thru quickly and some don't.
So, although small, they are not that uniform from the box.

I reamed them out with a flash hole uniformer, thanks guys for all the info. it has been thirty years sence I have shot, and things change. that is one of the great things about benchrest. you can always get help and info. and meet and make friends!........ thanks Mike Wall

Nitro Al,

The "D" shaped ones are the Dakota version.....:p

Dogbreath

Fixed that, 4 mm would be just a tad big.

Any way, I agree with the out of round holes as well. This latest batch of 500 are all over the chart, but a 1/16 drill takes stock out of every one, so I guess they all end up ok.........jackie

Back