Lathe for re-crowning - needed?

H

HopeToBe

I understand that this might be the wrong forum, however I am speaking about re-crowning for benchrest use barrels.

The question is simple - do I need to use a lathe for re-crowning or are there other tools? I am not speaking about crowns that are damaged by hitting or something in that direction, but simple "worn out" by use for a number of rounds through it.

More than likely , yes. Worn out would mean having to back track down the barrel to find a area not badly worn.

Not sure this is what you need, but Brownells makes a hand tool to touch up the crown. Take a look at it.

Brownell's hand tool requires a pilot that has to be inserted into the muzzle, not an ideal situation for a match barrel. As Blades pointed out if the rifling at the muzzle is worn the barrel will need to be cut back. If the muzzle is worn this badly it may be that a new barrel is in order.

I had rather quickly thought about the hand tool from Brownell's, but discounted that due to his first sentence. I refrained from mentioning barrel replacement as that was not indicated as an option. If possible I would take to a smith that has a bore scope and have the whole tube checked out, rather than burning green stamps on something of questionable condition. Dollars being what they are I understand the motive behind the question. Happy labor day to all. Chris

"worn out" could be something as small and insignificant as a nick at the crown exit area. The crown needs to be sharp and un damaged around its entire circumerence for benchrest quality accuracy. Sloppy cleaning is one of the more frequent culprits to crown nicks. --Greg

Brownell's hand tool requires a pilot that has to be inserted into the muzzle, not an ideal situation for a match barrel. As Blades pointed out if the rifling at the muzzle is worn the barrel will need to be cut back. If the muzzle is worn this badly it may be that a new barrel is in order.

you could

use a chamber reamer.but i guess the pilot can only go in the chamber end?is it ok to put a guide in the chamber end but not the crown end?:confused:

htb ...

The question is simple - do I need to use a lathe for re-crowning or are there other tools? I am not speaking about crowns that are damaged by hitting or something in that direction, but simple "worn out" by use for a number of rounds through it.

If the crown is "worn out" by use [running a lot of rounds through it] you don't need to crown it again. You need a NEW BARREL! :)

use a chamber reamer.but i guess the pilot can only go in the chamber end?is it ok to put a guide in the chamber end but not the crown end?:confused:

Chambering reamers used by gunsmiths who work on BR and most other match quality barrels have floating or live pilots that fit the bore snugly and allow the reamer to turn inside them. That eliminates or greatly reduces the possibility of damaging the rifling.

Dave manson has a

Barrel re-crowning tool. It works really well. I like it a heck of alot better than the one from Brownells. The one from Manson, the pilot doesn't spin. Uses Carbide inserts that cut really fine chips. Brownells, the pilot spins. It can and does cut into the barrel. A friend of mine ruined his Ruger 77/22.

All in all... You really need a new barrel. We could be wrong.

You also get crown damage from erosion, (Hot combustion gases and powder residue wearing on the sharp edge). I think it's a great idea to cut a fresh crown after every shooting season. And IMO you need a lathe and tools to do a proper job.

Generally speaking, all the reamer makers manufacture a piloted crown cutter usually used in a lathe but could be adapted and used by hand in a chuck holder since the pilot follows the lands, most popular being the 11 degree cutting tool..............Don

Both the Brownell and the Lathe work. Both do require a degree of skill. The Brownell hand tool works best just to touch up a crown on a hunting rifle. If the barrel is to be cut back from the muzzle it should be only done in a lathe and then crowned at the same time.

Back