lapua 6ppc brass for sako repeater

R

roninflag

i should receive the sako friday. i have lapua brass for it. it should be a noturn neck factory chamber. do you chamfer your 6ppc lapua brass? ( i do lightly with my .243 , 300wm, and 6.5-284 brass. )

Lapua, to the best of my knowledge, does not make 6ppc brass. They do make 220 russian, which benchrest shooters will use to make 6ppc. Norma, on the otherhand, does make 6ppc brass. You still might find Sako 6ppc USA brass, which I believe was made by Norma, if you are lucky. By chamfer, do you mean inside and outside neck? That is something that should be done on new brass and always after you trim to length.

Ed

lapua brass

ED- you are correct . the lapua brass i have is 220 rus. i will need to run it over a 6mm mandrel be fore loading.

ED- you are correct . the lapua brass i have is 220 rus. i will need to run it over a 6mm mandrel be fore loading.

You might want to try some of the Norma 6ppc brass, it will save you a lot of time and trouble. There are some serious benchrest shooters using it and they seem to be happy with it.

Ed

Roninflag: Best of luck with the new Rifle!
I have a Sako bolt action Rifle in 6mm PPC but it is a single shot, heavy barrel model?
I did not know that Sako made a repeater in 6mm PPC - but then I am kind of "new" to Sako Rifles having only owned 4 or 5 of them over the last 40 years.
I use Sako 6mm PPC brass in my Rifle and do indeed lightly chamfer my Sako brass.
I shoot the wonderful Euber 68 grain bullet in mine along with VV-N133 powder.
It is VERY accurate.
On Varminting occassions I shoot the nearly as accurate Nosler 70 grain Ballistic Tips.
I hope you will be as happy with your Rifle as I am with mine.
By the way I bought my Rifle from an estate - it was unfired and came with a set of new Redding dies and 40 pieces of new brass.
So I am not sure what the proper Model name/number is for my Rifle - but it is definitely a single shot.
Best of luck to you with the new Rifle.
Merry Christmas.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Lapua, to the best of my knowledge, does not make 6ppc brass. They do make 220 russian, which benchrest shooters will use to make 6ppc. Norma, on the otherhand, does make 6ppc brass. You still might find Sako 6ppc USA brass, which I believe was made by Norma, if you are lucky. By chamfer, do you mean inside and outside neck? That is something that should be done on new brass and always after you trim to length.

Ed
Ed - you advice is spot on . using 6ppc norma or even sako brass would have been much easier. i did not know. i had used lapua in several calibers with great results, 222 243 , 300wm , 30-06. this necking up is a pain. we will see once i fire them today. thanks . ron

VARMINTGUY- i have a few sakos also. the 6ppc repeater i have is marked "A1". you should go to sakocollectors.com for a better answer. i have seen both the single shot like yours and the light weight sporter repeater. my brother has both a 22 ppc and 6ppc repeaters. have been shopping for a couple years looking for one. they seem to be scarce. one thing is both the heavier single shot models and repeaters have a reputation of being very accurate.

Try Sako USA brass with 27 gr.AA- 2015 powder -68 Gr Berger bullets -CCI Br primers.
In the Sako factory chamber the 68 Bergers seated .101 from the lands -quite a jump.
But several five shot groups at one hundred yards were not bigger than .210.

Glenn

Back