Lapping Compound

Probably don't want to use silicon carbide, either. It will embed, even in steel. Aluminum oxide won't embed, and will break down some with use.

Bill, this is a GREAT question!

I've asked two people before who stated evasively, "well, we mix our own..."

I do hope you get an answer from some barrel makers.
al

The good folks who make JB Compound, United States Products, also make the lapping compound many use. I know for fact Ferris Pindell used it not only in his barrels but also to finish his famous bullet dies.

US-Products Inc are big supporters of the NRA, the only major organized effort we have to stave off more laws from the gun grabbers who are trying to capitalize off the recent Newtown CT tragedy.

http://www.us-products.com/home.html

Thanks Jerry For the above link I really enjoyed reading the link. Not that I will ever do any lapping but now have an under standing how it is done. Never know just might try it some it for sure I am saving the link.
Thanks again Chet

JB Bore Cleaner, is currently available, as is USP Bore Paste. Can anyone shed any light on if they have significant differences, and if they do, what they might be? Does USP make JB for Brownells? Some years back, I bought a tube of the Bore Paste, that laid on its side, in my gun cleaning kit for some time, in hot weather. When I finally used it, it had separated in the tube, abrasive concentrate on one side, and what looked like grease on the other. Say what you will about the glass jars, but they certainly are better for remixing separated contents. If for some reason I become convinced that the Bore Paste is better, I will definitely look around for a small jar to transfer it into.

Boyd, I've seen only a couple of bore paste products in tubes, but the one in the white tube is one of my favorites for getting carbon out of throats. Don't know what's different about it and J-B or USP or Rem Clean, but it has skinned carbon right out of barrel throats that the others had little or no effect on. Only reservation I have about using it is that when used to excess, I believe it'll put a polish on a bore that's fine enough so that it may actually increase the tendency to copper foul.

JB Bore Cleaner, is currently available, as is USP Bore Paste. Can anyone shed any light on if they have significant differences, and if they do, what they might be? Does USP make JB for Brownells? Some years back, I bought a tube of the Bore Paste, that laid on its side, in my gun cleaning kit for some time, in hot weather. When I finally used it, it had separated in the tube, abrasive concentrate on one side, and what looked like grease on the other. Say what you will about the glass jars, but they certainly are better for remixing separated contents. If for some reason I become convinced that the Bore Paste is better, I will definitely look around for a small jar to transfer it into.

Boyd, originally US Products made the JB paste for a distributor, then when the distributor wanted the JB name, USP came out with a similar product but called it USP. US Products now is back to marketing the original formula of JB and using the USP name but the paste is now in a tube instead of a jar.

Boyd, I've seen only a couple of bore paste products in tubes, but the one in the white tube is one of my favorites for getting carbon out of throats. Don't know what's different about it and J-B or USP or Rem Clean, but it has skinned carbon right out of barrel throats that the others had little or no effect on. Only reservation I have about using it is that when used to excess, I believe it'll put a polish on a bore that's fine enough so that it may actually increase the tendency to copper foul.

Dennis, the white stuff, Iosso, is a different soft grit and it contains a slight amount of a decoppering chemical. US Products also makes the Rem Clean product for Remington and ships it to them in 55 gallon drums. Then Remington, or someone else beyond USP, repackages that to the Rem Clean product.

While USP/JB and Iosso both contain soft grits (clays they are called) the Iosso grit is slightly harder than the grit in USP/JB (which is now in a tube also).

Only reservation I have about using it is that when used to excess, I believe it'll put a polish on a bore that's fine enough so that it may actually increase the tendency to copper foul.

I agree with this......... I was trained in Gunsmithing School to polish, polish, polish because "shiny is always better!"

Not in barrels IMO

al

I've been using USP products/oil based lapping compounds for 25+yrs.
I prefer the JB's over the USP Bore Paste/Isso Bore Paste as the JB's doesn't dry out as fast from patch/bore friction.
The Rem Bore cleaner is too aggressive/abrasive(made for shotgun bores).

(Take several different compounds & polish a piece of Lexan for comparison)

Worse case scenario-
50BMG bores after 50+ rds fired-
The only cleaner/compound/polish that will remove carbon from a 50BMG bore is FLITZ metal polish cream.
Once the polish starts to dry(after a couple passes) it's time to wet solvent patch the drying compound from the bore & start over again.

Fastest scenario for bore cleaning-
Pro Shot Bore Cleaner/Lubricant w/ Pro Shot Copper Remover-
Works faster on CrMo Bbls than S/S Bbls.

Back