Lamon loggins build info

Mtn Boy

Hello. I am thinking hard on buying an older Suhl build that was built by Lamon Loggins out of North Carolina. Just wondering if anyone has had any of his rifles and could tell me how they shot. Have found some info on line. But pretty limited. Thanks

Wish
Wish I could help, but as Tony posted above, I only have experience with his front rest. If he built a rifle as well as he built his rests, I would say good to go depending on if the barrel is good. I have only seen one Loggins rifle in the 8 years I have been shooting sanctioned and it was a Falcon I believe. And while the days of Suhls being past may be partially correct, there have been a couple that have done very well in the last several years. Pretty sure Bob Cleveland was shooting a Suhl for a year or two and really cleaned up with it just a few years back. It had a killer aftermarket barrel on it though.

Scott

Lamon,
Was an excellent machinist and built some great rests. I shoot one of his to this day. But the days of the Suhls have long passed. They were great in their day and I would expect one built by Lamon would be better than most. But I believe there are better platforms available today for a RFBR rifle.
TKH
Thanks for the information Mr Harper. I am looking at this gun for my 13 year old daughter. She is wanting to start shooting some matches with me and her brother. Just some local club matches and some backyard money matches locally. For the money I think it should be good for her to start with. She shoots my turbo pretty well. But just looking to get her shooting more if that makes sense.

Wish

Wish I could help, but as Tony posted above, I only have experience with his front rest. If he built a rifle as well as he built his rests, I would say good to go depending on if the barrel is good. I have only seen one Loggins rifle in the 8 years I have been shooting sanctioned and it was a Falcon I believe. And while the days of Suhls being past may be partially correct, there have been a couple that have done very well in the last several years. Pretty sure Bob Cleveland was shooting a Suhl for a year or two and really cleaned up with it just a few years back. It had a killer aftermarket barrel on it though.

Scott
Thanks Scott. I appreciate the info. This is a suhl with a muller barrel. And what looks like a Stith stock.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0.jpeg
    imagejpeg_0.jpeg
    215.6 KB · Views: 25
  • imagejpeg_0.jpeg
    imagejpeg_0.jpeg
    213.6 KB · Views: 18
  • imagejpeg_0.jpeg
    imagejpeg_0.jpeg
    208.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Thanks for the information Mr Harper. I am looking at this gun for my 13 year old daughter. She is wanting to start shooting some matches with me and her brother. Just some local club matches and some backyard money matches locally. For the money I think it should be good for her to start with. She shoots my turbo pretty well. But just looking to get her shooting more if that makes sense.

If the rifle shoots good and the price is right, then for your stated purpose, I would think it would be a cost effective starter rifle for a new competitor. I applaud your efforts in bringing your children into the RFBR game.

Scott

As Scott said there have been some killer Suhl rifles. They have excellent triggers and with a good barrel they can run with most.

If the price is right she just may give you a run for your money. But if you can shoot it before you buy it. You should always do that if you can.
TKH

Well i bought it. Should be here next week . Keeping my fingers crossed it is a shooter

It just may be better than you are hoping.

I recall a guy with a Suhl 150 cleaning my clock while I was shooting an Annie 54 Super match.
I also saw the first BR 1000 match won in Virginia by a guy shooting a Suhl.
Good luck.
TKH

Back