Lake City Brass....

C

canis lupus

Has anyone had experience with Lake City Brass (.223 rem.)? Is it Good quality? Better than.....,but not as good as......:confused:

Lake City brass is one of the best to use if you're loading for an AR, hard and good capacity too (it's NOT heavier than commercial brass). It's not as good as Lapua, but it's a lot less money for a self loader where it's going to get beat up some. For a bolt gun for live varmints it'd probably work as well as most commercial brass too.

The only problem is the crimped in primers, but that makes a good winter project. Who me, sick? :D

Lc 82

I spent the week working on my bag of LC 82 223 brass. I use Sinclair tools to uniform the primer pocket depth and a seperate tool to uniform/deburr the flash hole from the inside, and I like my Hornady cutter on the crimp. I did 150 using Redding dies and then neck turned them with a light cut to clean up about 60% of the neck. I will buy LC mil surplus 223 anytime the deal is right, last year at the gunshow it was $25 for 500 and I should have bought more.

Canis Lupis,

Had some friends that shot it because it was plentiful and advailable. They were shooting it in a 223AI. We had a mutual friend that worked for a local law enforcement agency that gave use a lifetime supply of once fired Winchester brass for free. The guys shooting it in the 223AI's found it would work harden the necks after about 2 reloadings. So, they went back to LC. Since I was shooting a .223 they gave me all of the Winchester brass that they hadn't fireformed. I've been shooting it ever since. That was about 10 years ago and I still have about 10K cases left. The Winchesters definately aren't as good as the Lapua. If I were target shooting, I'd go with the Lapua. But, for varmints, the free or cheap ones are still getting the job done. I have about 10K loaded for varmint hunts @ all times. You can see this would be really expensive if you were using Lapua brass.

James

Back