Kelbly Rings: How Much Torque

I put 30 on the bases and 26 on the rings. I used feeler gauges to keep them level/centered till I they were firmed up, then went rotated through them like lug nuts a few in lbs at a time.

I know they can leave some nasty looking parallel ring marks on each side where the 2 halves meet so now I hit those inside corners with a little emery cloth and things are good.

Tighten the screws to the dovetail as tight as you can get them without breaking anything. Tighten the split rings no more than 10 in./lbs. There should be a small gap (~0.020") between the top and bottom ring tops.

Greg Walley
Kelbly's Inc.

Tighten the screws to the dovetail as tight as you can get them without breaking anything. Tighten the split rings no more than 10 in./lbs. There should be a small gap (~0.020") between the top and bottom ring tops.

Greg Walley
Kelbly's Inc.

"Dad, how do they know this bridge will handle 50,000 pounds?"

Well son, they drive heavier and heavier trucks over it 'til it caves in....."

C'MON Greg! You can do better than "as tight as you can get them without breaking anything."

Dude asked the question on BRC.

And you ARE Kelbly's...

al

A dab of JB Weld between the rings and the dovetail is good insurance. The thin epoxy used for repairing windshield chips also works great.

Good shootin'. -Al

A dab of JB Weld between the rings and the dovetail is good insurance. The thin epoxy used for repairing windshield chips also works great.

Good shootin'. -Al

??? You gonna' JB WELD the ring bases to the dovetail? With or without release agent?

I know that on bolt-on bases it is a good idea to "bed" the bases to the action. Is this what you mean??

Last edited:
So, am I right here in thinking, according to these charts, the proper barrel torque should be around 250 ft. lbs? This would consider SS to be like a low grade bolt.

Not quite that simple :)

YES there's a specification of 250ftlb for a 'plain' bolt but the number falls to 125 when the bolt is lubricated and the chart only accounts for the BOLT (barrel tenon) not for the fragility of the receptor (receiver.)

IMO quite a lot of thought has gone into the recommendation of 150 lubricated ft lb for a Rem700 style action and tenon.

I bump it up to 175 on the larger 1 1/8 tenon and thicker receiver.

al

??? You gonna' JB WELD the ring bases to the dovetail? With or without release agent?

I know that on bolt-on bases it is a good idea to "bed" the bases to the action. Is this what you mean??

Yep, I JB Weld the rings to the action dovetail or to the Davidson style bases...no release agent.

Good shootin'. -Al

What do you torque your barrels to?

I had settled on 100 fp a few years ago. My gunsmith thinks it's too much as do some of my friends. As I recall, Jackie Schmidt uses a Witness Mark system that may have exceeded 100 fp. My reasoning in using 100 fp was consistency. I figured if I did all my barrels the same there would be a consistency established and it's the limit for my good torque wrench :)

Back