Kelbly bolt.. one piece? Or several bits pressed together?

N

Northman

The topic says it all I guess.

I know the bolt handle is tigged on. But, the rest of the body. Is that machined in one piece? Or pressed together by multiple pieces?

The latest one I bought at Kelblys (SN11xxx) the bolt handle was tigged and I understand that is to be continued. Some of the older soldered models have had handles come loose, with big soft tipped mallets and other useful bench tools!!
The bolt bodys are machined from solid CM steel. If you get a chance to go into Kelblys shop you will great piles of bolt bodies in progress.

One Piece with TIG welded handle

Our bolts are a one piece body from chrome-moly steel, and we've been TIG welding our stainless steel handles onto this body for the past couple of years. We used to silver solder them, but too many shooters decide to exchange brass from one barrel to another with incompatible chambers, and miraculously they would break the handle off at the solder joint with "a light tap with a gloved hand".

Now they bend the handle up in an arc and then break the handle. They must be badasses to do this with their bare hands! At least it gets rid of the bad solder joint complaints.

Greg Walley
Kelbly's Inc.

I bend mine up like that for the tac/sniper any/any matches...... then bend 'em back for hunting. Never had one break.

But I can't do it by hand I need to use a Hickey bar and a small sledge.

al

Back