Just for giggles...barrel liners

Charles E

curmudgeon
Has anyone investigated the accuracy of the .22 barrel liners? I have an old .310 Martini Cadet rendered into a .22RF by Parker-Hale that is quite surprising.

And how are they made? Can't imagine pulling/pushing a button through something of that diameter.

One thought would be if making liners might use a production method where the usual variabilities didn't arise. (Not that we know for sure what makes a barrel accurate.)

Of course I'm thinking RF-benchrest, but not of a conventional "barrel."

Has anyone investigated the accuracy of the .22 barrel liners? I have an old .310 Martini Cadet rendered into a .22RF by Parker-Hale that is quite surprising.

And how are they made? Can't imagine pulling/pushing a button through something of that diameter.

One thought would be if making liners might use a production method where the usual variabilities didn't arise. (Not that we know for sure what makes a barrel accurate.)

Of course I'm thinking RF-benchrest, but not of a conventional "barrel."

Charles, there is a guy just out of Elizabethton, TN who drills and relines 22 rf barrels. Can't think of his name right now. The liners looks like a hammer forged item??

I have a Savage made Enfield No.4 Mk.1 with a non-matching bolt and a junk bore that I am thinking of converting like they did in Shotgun News back in 2010. I was actually thinking of 17HM2. Only 400 FPS less than the HMR and about 1/2 the price.

I talked to a guy at the St Louis benchrest club range that had a high wall converted to 22 with a liner. He said that he poured a case that fit the gun full of lead and bored the lead off center so thew firing pin would hit the primer and epoxied the liner into the hole in the case and fit the liner to the barrel with several O rings. He said he had a good 40X and this contraption would out shoot it. He was introduced to me as a national champion benchrest shooter, and I can't remember his name. He was shooting it while I was there and it would shoot good. If that's the way he really put it together I don't know.

Back