Jugs for powder storage????

CYanchycki

Club Coordinator
When you have kegs of powder do you just take what you need out of the bag in the keg or do you transfer as much as you can to empty jugs?

I used to have empty 8 lb powder jugs but am out. I have come across some 1 gallon jugs that had bio degradable floor cleaner. Would or could they be used when washed out thoroughly and say rinsed with alcohol and let dry out?

Should I be concerned if they are not static free like powder jugs/bottles appear to be?

Thoughts?

Calvin

Good by me. Manitoba is far enough away from Australia.

Seriously, why risk the possible contamination & static issues?

The other thing you may want to do If you store a lot of powder is shake it every month or so it doesn't clump together! I know had powder with metal caps and the cap were starting to corrode! out they went. That could be a fire hazard.

joe Salt

Maybe

20 year ago my local gun store would buy and repackage powder in 1-2 pound paper cylinders. Sort of like what Sinclair sells for small die storage or similar to 1 pound Quaker Oat meal container.
Never saw a problem with the paper cylinder.
Centerfire

Centfire yes I remember when they had 100 pound kegs in the paper cylinders and I know that a buddy of mine still has one from the 70's that still has powder in it. I think those were better to store powder than what they have today. I would say its the reaction on the metal tops that may be the problem. Would love to be able to buy 100 pound keg for what you could get one for then.

Joe Salt

You must be older than me, Joe. I just remember 44 pound kegs of Vit N133. I also remember the static cling. It wasn't really a problem though. You just had to be aware of it when you first opened the plastic bag inside. If I see any more of those I'm on them.

Lets put it this way I was 25 years old when I started shooting 1000 yard benchrest that was 1971 so go figure! Talked to my buddy they were 50 pounders or H-4831 and H-570 there might have been others but it was all Military stuff I recall. I remember them being big but they were only 50's

Joe salt

Red Plastic Blitz fuel containers. Made for flammable and solvent base chemicals. Two gal size will hold 18 lb. of H4198. They come in various sizes. Sounds like a 1 gal size would fit the bill.Randy

Last edited:
Thanks for the info

Red Plastic Blitz fuel containers. Made for flammable and solvent base chemicals. Two gal size will hold 18 lb. of H4198. They come in various sizes. Sounds like a 1 gal size would fit the bill.Randy

never even thought of buying a few gas cans.......

Calvin

Uthink Uknow Is that because you can't hear any more also? Rewinder Good Thinking, I know I've seen them before but never thought of putting powder in them.

Joe Salt

Hurry up and get your Blitz cans. They are going out of business because stupid people suing for the cans blowing up if you pour gas on a fire. Duh!

Back