Jewell Trigger Design

When the trigger in in the fired position and you operate the bolt, so that the cocking piece is no longer holding the top lever in a depressed position, a spring lifts the top lever into position and resets the intermediate lever, which requires that it overcome the trigger spring. Since the HVR can be set up with for much heavier trigger springs this would present a problem in those situations. The hairpin spring would not be strong enough to back up the trigger. That is why the HVR's intermediate lever's tip is a separate hinged piece that can simply pivot out of the way as it passes the trigger point. You may also notice that the spring that resets the top and intermediate levers also touches this pivoting tip, so that after it passes the trigger it will snap back into position.

Thanks, Boyd. I had suspected that the heavier trigger pull was the reason, but it's good to hear it from an expert.

RWO

I am not an expert, but I think that I have this one figured out. I just studied the drawings that you posted when I first saw them about 15 years back.

Back