Jackie T. Schmidt's "Green Gun"

G

Gary Walters

Jackie made an appearance at the Tomball Gun Club yesterday. Would you believe he wanted $5.00 just to open his gun case and $1.00 to look through the scope of his green 30BR rifle.

I came up with a name for this gun on my way home yesterday. "GREAT EXPECTATIONS"
I snapped a few photos without paying.

Jackie's Krieger barrel seems to get better with age.

GW

29117xj.jpg

No Moly bullets
vfe3xt.jpg

3u3it.jpg

Last edited:
Great Expectations

I looked thru the scope at some of his record groups out in Midland. I am sure glad that was before the viewing surcharge.

Joe

Moly Bullet Rumor Debunked!!!

There was a rumor floating around that Jackie used moly bullets on His record run. Here is a "actual" photo of Jackies record setting rig with a 30BR round "prestaged" ready to be chambered and launched. Notice that the Robinett BIB 112 is totally nakid. :D:D:D

vfe3xt.jpg

Gw ...

What is that brand of beverage that he has sitting on the bench in the third picture down? Was he drinking that when he shot at Midland? Should we be drinking some of that stuff too? :D :)

Scary thing: 30BR barrels last a loooonnnnngggggg time.
Skip Otto was right: Green guns shoot best.

F, best I've been able to do so far is about 3500 on my first Lilja 3 groove 17. Hart 14T went south about 2500, latest Lilja 3 groove 17T gone at 3300. By gone I mean able to shoot competitively and clean easily. --greg

You all are missing EVERYTHING.... Jackie's record had nothing to do with the powder, the bullet, the barrel, or even the tuner. It’s the clothes he wears. Everyone knows Jackie wears Dickies and flannel. If you want to shoot world record groups... wear blue Dickie pants and flannel long sleeve shirts... even in the summer.

So if we have learned ANYTHING from this it is truly that the clothes actually do make the man. And wearing Dickies and flannel will make YOU a world class shooter too.

Paid for by the flannel association of America.

You all are missing EVERYTHING.... Jackie's record had nothing to do with the powder, the bullet, the barrel, or even the tuner. It’s the clothes he wears. Everyone knows Jackie wears Dickies and flannel. If you want to shoot world record groups... wear blue Dickie pants and flannel long sleeve shirts... even in the summer.

So if we have learned ANYTHING from this it is truly that the clothes actually do make the man. And wearing Dickies and flannel will make YOU a world class shooter too.

Paid for by the flannel association of America.
vestis virum facet.....( hope i spelled that right)

I have the same stock and mine is even green just like this one. When will i get to shoot a world record?? LOL!!! Lee

OK, Gary, I will be expecting a check in the mail. :D

Really, what these puctures show is what is a very ordinary Benchrest Rifle . Heck, it does not even have an ejector. Thousands out there just like it.

But, what it does have is a REALLY good barrel hanging off. And, that particular action, (1998 vintage Farley), has always shot well, as some say, it was simply "born good".

I am suprised no one has commented on my high tech front rest and rear bag set-up. It defines "state of the art":D.........jackie

I am suprised no one has commented on my high tech front rest and rear bag set-up. It defines "state of the art".........jackie

We just assumed you set it in that old rest for cleaning and you have a SEB or Farley or equivalent that is of course required as standard BR equipment now days. Do you mean to say your a bag squeezer???? I remember last year you stating you where going with the flow and buying all eject actions for rapid fire..... Apparently that has a deliberate ploy to leads us off track that are trying to learn.....

Congrads again on whatever combination you shoot. Simply amazing. Tim

HI-Tech ????

Jackie, as you know I was 2 benches from you with no one in between. What I witnessed was You taking your bags and large ballet and beating the crap of them,. turning them each and everyway. I'm not sure but I can only assume that you muttered something like "you be nice and not throw any SHOTS or I will really beat the crap out of you". Maybe that is required for hi-tech bags.

Just kidding Jackie, you were awsume and I am glad to have witnessed your unbeleivable feat. :):):)
Joe

No, I am not a bag squeezer, my front rest has a home made top windage adjustment, so I guess I am a knob turner. I also shoot free recoil. I bought that rear bag off of a fellow shooter back in the '90's, the big Do-Nut under it was made for me by Jay Lynn Gore.

But, I am NOT someone who you should be taking advice from in bench equipment and bench technique. I hunt and pick conditions. While the majority of shooters wait for a certain condition and get the rounds on the paper as quickly as possible, I usually take most of the alloted time, studying the flags a using what ever appropriate hold is neccessary if needed, or catching an exact condition as it comes by.

Bart Sauter once told me that it was downright painful to watch me shoot a group. But, try as I have, I simply cannot "run and gun". I guess it is the way my brain works. My advice to new shooters is to learn to shoot fast. Use the method perfected by Ton Boyer and World Champion Gene Bukys.

While I have had a certain success in Benchrest shooting the way I do, the majority of the top Shooters do adhere to the "get em down range as fast as possible" style of shooting........jackie

Last edited:
Well Jackie I am with you on picking.....

I have never been successful trying to gun them down there fast. Like I have said many times there are those whom I feel are just slightly ahead of the rest of us in there ability to shoot quickly. If we all had that ability there would be no Tiger Woods, Wayne Gretzky, Michael Jordan, Bobby Orr, etc. etc.

I feel some just have it.

I think the only way I would be able to give it a crack is to buy a soft rear bag, beat the living crap out of it and try bag squeezing.............

Calvin

Someone once told me not to believe what other shooters told me, especially when it came to their secrets of success---I have always believed that and now I see the proof indeed---FLANNEL??? The man is from Texas!!!! It's Summer!!!!!

Someone once told me not to believe what other shooters told me, especially when it came to their secrets of success---I have always believed that and now I see the proof indeed---FLANNEL??? The man is from Texas!!!! It's Summer!!!!!

And yet he was as cool as a cucumber.

Someone needs to tell Jackie that his blue towel doesn't go with the green gun. Blue and green can work together, but it is tough to get the right shades. Just ask any algae.

I'd suggest letting Dr. Tim pick out a new towel for him.

Green gun, if install green laser on it, rather cool! last week i bought 5mW green laser, then i modified it and installed on my gun, raised the rate!:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back