Jackie Schmidt

Umbrella's

This brings up a question: I've been watching Houston on the news and wonder why those people carry an umbrella when they are in three feet of water?

When you don't have rain suits, you use the next best thing to try to keep as dry as possible. In the Military we called it “field expediency.”

I sympathize with the people who are struggling to make it through this Disaster. I hope they all come out of this disaster OK. The fact that some were shown walking in knee deep flood water, trying to get to higher ground, while using umbrellas, to keep the rain off, speaks more to the survival instincts of mankind. I keep an umbrella in the car, just in case I get caught in the rain.

Glenn

flat

I used to work for an old boy that grew up in Hereford Texas up in the panhandle. He said if rained very much it looked like an ocean because it was so flat. Looks like Houston has the same deal. No place for the water to go. Their talking about opening flood gates on a dam somewhere above and that water will come down. That's what happened to us in 93. The corp of engineers opened dams on the Missouri river and it really got high. Good luck Jackie, Doug

water

Virtually all of the water that drains from the Houston/Harris county area dumps into the Houston Ship Channel. Either through the Buffalo Bayou system or the San Jacinto River a little farther downstream. Someone said this morning on TV that there is so much water dumping into the system that the ship channel had risen something like 9 ft. That may be also effected some by the storm pushing water inland.

glad all is well!!

Glad you are doing good and have the ability to help others. The shop being in good shape helps also. I saw a friends mill shop in Lake Worth Fla after hurricane Francis had blown the roof off the building, what a mess. A bunch of old well taken care of wood working machines with rust all over them. Looks as if we may get some more of that kind of thing with Irma.

Back