jackets cleaning

Liseo

Hi guys

I intend to wash a batch of jackets to eliminate oil residues present.
However, pure acetone and MEK are controlled products and difficult to obtain.
What other solvents could be used?
Would hexane be a good alternative?
It evaporates quickly and is not miscible in water.

Thanks

Hi guys

I intend to wash a batch of jackets to eliminate oil residues present.
However, pure acetone and MEK are controlled products and difficult to obtain.
What other solvents could be used?
Would hexane be a good alternative?
It evaporates quickly and is not miscible in water.

Thanks

It's quite similar to, but a little less volatile than Ronsonol. Hard to get a hold of here in the U. S. unless you have a business that can buy it from a scientific house. I can't think of any bulk similar solvent that's available from a paint or hardware store. Also is very good at removing label goo from most surfaces if you have a need to do that. I sometimes use it on a tight patch when cleaning guns.

It's quite similar to, but a little less volatile than Ronsonol. Hard to get a hold of here in the U. S. unless you have a business that can buy it from a scientific house. I can't think of any bulk similar solvent that's available from a paint or hardware store. Also is very good at removing label goo from most surfaces if you have a need to do that. I sometimes use it on a tight patch when cleaning guns.

Hi Sir Antelopedundee

Other than slower evaporation rate, could it create any other problems?
Would it be convenient to look for a faster evaporating solvent, in your opinion?
I'm from outside the US, and in my country both acetone and MEK are controlled ,while hexane is not.

***I don't want to bother the dies maker anymore, because he must already be tired with so many questions I ask....lol

Liseo

I've also used standard lacquer thinner, mineral spirits and camp stove fuel to wash jackets. Other than the evaporation time, they all do a good job.

I absolutely would not use Ronsonol. :( It leaves a film behind...which is exactly what you don't want.

Hope this helps. :) -Al

Hi Sir Antelopedundee

Would it be convenient to look for a faster evaporating solvent, in your opinion?
I'm from outside the US, and in my country both acetone and MEK are controlled ,while hexane is not.

***I don't want to bother the dies maker anymore, because he must already be tired with so many questions I ask....lol

Liseo

I don't think there are other issues aside from evaporation rate. Like all solvents unless you buy higher purity ones they can be contaminated from unclean handling equipment. Once it dissolves the crud from the jackets it too becomes contminated. The fast evaporation rate of hexane might leave residue behind requiring an extra washing. Charcoal starter fluid and camp stove fuel would be good choices too as would xylenes from a paint store. How you would dispose of any solvent it is also a concern.

Hi Sir Antelopedundee

Liseo

Who are you getting your jackets from?
Bart/Hines Precision jackets are cleaned before shipping. Shipped with desiccant. Best jackets out there....
They are so good. I have no junk bullets to fireform with. So I went to DJ's Brass Service for 6 PPC brass. Sale at Creedmoor Sports, shipped to DJ's. And a few days later got box from DJ's. Ready to go. Checked case mouth, Checked with sizing die, prime and load, ready to shoot....All good.
When you don't have junk bullets, primers in short supply, Powder Who knows when...,
It's the deal.....

Just rinsed 1,000 new J4's in acetone this morning. This is the acetone after sitting for 30 minutes post rinsing to allow any residue to settle. Then it got poured through a paint strainer to show any really fine stuff. Nothing there, either.

Always rinsing gives the luxury of always knowing they're clean. ;)

Good shootin' -Al

Lul0MCrl.jpg

Just rinsed 1,000 new J4's in acetone this morning. This is the acetone after sitting for 30 minutes post rinsing to allow any residue to settle. Then it got poured through a paint strainer to show any really fine stuff. Nothing there, either.

Always rinsing gives the luxury of always knowing they're clean. ;)

Good shootin' -Al

Lul0MCrl.jpg

Holee Krapp Al, that bucket of dirty jacketwater looks like Gene's lathe at the end of the day......

Back