j unertl scope

I've seen the Mitchell scopes and from everyone that I talked to about them that owned or owns them they were superb. Mechanically especially in the adjustable mount were an improvement, the optics were very good from the little that I looked thru them. The old Feckers were very good scopes, John Unertl worked for them before he started his own company. The highest power Unertl made was 36x. The Unertls were the chosen scope in 1000 yard B/R from the beginning (late 60s) until the very early 90s for heavy gun (light gun didn't start until later). World records were broken w/ 15x to 24x. Like centerfire said, competitors want more power today. In my area which is only 60 miles from the original Unertl factory they were very popular for target work and varmint hunting, even the little ones (1" target and small game scope) for squirrel hunting. A lot of us still use them, along w/ the Lyman Targetspots (Jr and Super) and a few Litscherts, Feckers and the old Balvar 24.

Some have mounted these long scopes w/ extensions on receiver w/o touching the barrel. Rifles w/ barrels that are in blocks whether bolted or glued as on many of todays heavy long range rifles have will have a long base attached on the block to that will hold these scopes w/o touching barrel. The shorter Unertl BV20 was mounted on the receiver w/ an extended base to get the 7.2" base separation. In the past actions were made with sleeves that extended beyond the receiver and some actions were made w/ a skeletonized extension to mount a front scope base. Remington actions also were sleeved w/ sleeve extending beyond front of receiver that worked well.
/

Question Dan

Are you familiar with the base separation dimensions that would ultimately give you the resultant Click dimensions depending on the base separatin.
Hope this made sence.
Centerfire

Yes. Each click (the so-called 1/4 moa click mount)) moves .0005" and @ 7.2 base separation will move the adjustment 1/4 moa. However it is actually 1/4". 6"=.300", 8"=.225",9"=.200",9.6"=.1875",10"=.180",10.585"=.170,10.905"=.165:,11.25"=.160".11.612"=.155" and 12"=.150". There was a few special mounts made that were 1/8" and of course the values would be half of the regular mounts.

You can actually use this info to shim scope bases or when using Burris rings w/ the plastic insert shims to zero rifles in or to gain extra elevation, just measure the ctc to each ring set and remember that .0005" = 1/4" @ 100 yds.

I forgot to add that .0005" = 1/4" @ 100 yds if the bases are 7.2" apart. Then just use your math.

Back