j unertl scope

D

dnunnally

I have a j unertl scope that was given to me. I don't have any use for it though, and have no idea what it's worth? Any ideas/interest?

Attachments

• P9061278.jpg
    P9061278.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 973
  • P9061282.jpg
    P9061282.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 979
I found some similar ones. I was really surprised at the prices. Minimum $300 and up. I haven't seen one exactly like this yet.

This one is 24" overall length, 1" diameter tube, 2" diameter objective, and marked 8x.

I think the 8X is the one that Hathcock admirers want to build a replica of the Win. 70 sniper rifle used in Vietnam.
Check to see if marked USMC, could be worth a lot more.
I paid $675 for a 15X Ultra Varmint (2 inch objective) 5 years ago.

That is a Unertl Ultra Varmint Scope w/ calibrated head and standard micrometer target mounts. The 8x usually doesn't bring near as much as the 15x. Increasing eyepieces were not available from Unertl for this scope, however you can get a lens put in by Davis and/or others that will increase the power. This scope was made in 8,10,12 and 15 power. The 15x is a real jewel for varmints. The clarity of these scopes in any power is awesome. In todyay's world people don't want big and cumbersome. The USMC sniper scope was a 1 1/4" objective target scope w/ a 3/4" tube and target mounts.

Oops, my mistake. This one is marked 9x. I listed it on ebay auction, starting at $150. We'll see.

It is quite strange compared to modern scopes! I wouldn't know how to do anything with it. Yet, considering my experience with modern, internal adjustment scopes, maybe I should give this one a try.

Attachments

• P9061284.jpg
    P9061284.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 547
Last edited by a moderator:
If you can get the last pic to open up and zoom, there's 8, 9, then 0. Maybe that's how they marked the 10x.

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad somebody knows about these scopes.

The numbers on the dial you are looking at are for a reference for parallax adjustment and don't have anything to do with the power of the scope. I'd look for a power designation somewhere else on the scope.

There's 15 on the ring next to the eyepiece. 15x?

Attachments

• P9061280.jpg
    P9061280.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 563
Yes the power is on the crosshair ring which is 15X. Like Mike said the 8 you are looking at is on the parallax adjustment, which is set very close to the 100 yard setting. On the target models the power marked on the crosshair lock ring can be wrong if a increasing or decreasing eyepiece is installed. The two little screws on the lock ring for the crosshair can be loosened to turn the crosshair then locked into place by tightening these screws, there is a long brass tube inside which houses the crosswires right ahead of the eyepiece (ocular).

Mount this scope on the receiver and out on the barrel w/ proper heighths standard cup target bases 7.2" inches apart (then you will have 1/4 moa adjustments) of your heavy barrel varmint rifle or long range deer rifle and you will probably never replace it. Do not overtighten the mounting screws. The parallax settings are a guide but usually vary a couple of numbers (yours is probably set @ 100 yds from trail and error). First adjust the parallx setting on 200 yds which is also infinity, then look thru at a nice blue sky w/ white clouds and screw the eyepiece in and out until the reticule is very clear and black, then lock the eyepiece, then adjust parallax. Don't forget to record the setting it is now on which is probably your 100 setting. The micrometer mounts read like a micrometer so you can easily return to your settings. On the top right corner of the mount looking at it from the back is a screw which is called a binder screw make sure this screw is just tight or snug not real tight so you don't strip your micrometer threads out, when you turn the thimbles they should turn crisply but not hard to turn. There is more but if you run into problems pm me maybe I can help.

Good info. I have a Ruger varmint model in 220 swift that would be great setup with this scope. It would take some drilling, tapping, but it would be an awesome looking setup.

I have shot these for 35+ years good scopes and very good adjustments, however the Nightforces are much clearer and great adjustments also. I have since sold all 3 of mine to a Man named Deewayne Greiner in Mi. He buys and sells them and gives very fair $ I hae bought them new in the 78and 80s for 180-225$ HaHaHa He gave me 2.5 times what I paid for them! His # is 320 795 2930

I still use them and I have bought them new in the early 70s for $129.00 (2" Target). They do have a few minor weaknesses but clarity is not one of them. I've compared them throughout the years w/ internally adjusted scopes and they never took a back seat to anything. The Nightforce is a great scope. I know nothing about the March. It took Leupold to about the year 2000 to come close. Just my experience. The newer shooters wouldn't believe it anyway, so it doesn't matter.

The optics of the Lyman Supertargetspots are very good also.

I have shot these for 35+ years good scopes and very good adjustments, however the Nightforces are much clearer and great adjustments also. I have since sold all 3 of mine to a Man named Deewayne Greiner in Mi. He buys and sells them and gives very fair $ I hae bought them new in the 78and 80s for 180-225$ HaHaHa He gave me 2.5 times what I paid for them! His # is 320 795 2930

Yep, I found his website when I started researching these scopes. The retail prices got my attention. Heck, I thought I would be lucky if I got anything it. Unfortunately, his email won't work and the phone message says "unavailable" and no voice mail option.

I've got a bidder at $150 on ebay. I'm happy.

Don't let that scope go for that price. A minimum value for it would be $500-600 and they bring $750 with regularity.

Don't let that scope go for that price. A minimum value for it would be $500-600 and they bring $750 with regularity.

Boy, that would make my day! It's already listed w/no reserve. I needed cash for another kind of toy....(sea kayak).

Tim is telling it like it is. 1 1/2" Taget will also bring that (depending on power). The 2" Target will bring more as will the BV-20. The programmer will bring much more.

While you are talking about the unertl scopes. I was wondering if any one has compared them to the mitchell scopes?

Back