Is there anyway to rethread a Rem 700 to savage threads?

M

Mrgunslinger

Can the reciever threads be bored out and a bushing installed and then rethreaded to 1.055 X 20 tpi.
What are the posibilities here,or options?

Not sure if that would be feasible.

You might look at savageshooters.com, Jim Briggs (Northlander) has barrels threaded for Remington actions with a barrel nut.

:)

I already have barrels.
I am wanting to fit them to a action with a Rem foot print so that I can use a Rem tact stock and Jewel trigger.
Worst comes to worst I will buy a custom action with a Savage thread.

Unless you have a lifetime supply of barrels threaded for Savage why not simply sell the barrels you have and spend that money for correctly threaded barrels...

Your action could be safely altered by a competent machinist by bushing it. It should be truer when finished as well.

I would not

I would make a suggestion, but I made it in the past, and caught heck from a lot of knee jerk reactioneers who said I was insane. The last time it came up, I even took the time to machine some parts, subject them to distructive testing, to prove that it was perfectly viable.

But, for what it is worth, just take your Savage Barrel, chuck it up dead true, and establish a 16 tpi on top of the 20. It will surprise you how normal it will look. The very small difference in the major diameter is a non issue. You can probably dimension it out to where the Jam Nut still is 20TPI. Just stop the 16 tpi about 1/2 way into where the Recoil Lug will be located. That is, if you are using a recoil lug.

I have done this with 18 thread barrels several times. (Pandas to Remington). Of course, they use a barrel shoulder instead of a Jam Nut.

Just to keep everybody off my back, I never said any of this. ..........jackie

Last edited:
Yes Jackie I have thought about that also.
I am thinkig about Bushing it,can not see any reason why it wouldnt work,
Just wondering if anything like this has been done before.
I will keep you posted as to what I do,just weighing out all options.

Gunslinger

Remington Actions are only a nominol 1 3/8 inch on the reciever diameter. By the timeyou add the depths of both threads, and enough bushing wall thickness to make it viable, you are running out of metal.

Just a thought..........jackie

Contact Shilen as they bringing out an action that has a Remington foot print and takes their prethreaded Savage barrels. Not sure when they will be available, but they are going to be set up to use the Savage barrel nut system.

Contact Shilen as they bringing out an action that has a Remington foot print and takes their prethreaded Savage barrels. Not sure when they will be available, but they are going to be set up to use the Savage barrel nut system.

I know McGowan sells Rem 700 prefit barrels with the 16tpi to be used with a 16tpi barrel nut. Not sure who is making the nuts.

Mrgunslinger, no idea how many barrels you have but if you modify the Rem, it will cost money. If you sell the Savage barrels you can get prefits like the McGowan. I have many Savage barrels and do my own chambering, truing etc but would not bother with this.

If Remington And Savage actions have the same OD, perhaps you could just rethread a Remington to a large shank Savage thread. If there are enough stock options to make you happy, Jewel makes a trigger for the model 70, and most have a 1" tenon and enough meat in the reciever to be rethreaded to Savage small shank dimensions. Another thing to consider on changing the thread on a Remington, the bolt nose is quite different.

Shilen action

Here's the info on the new Shilen action.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,32631.0.html

Shilen also has it on their website. http://www.shilen.com/productsCompleteRifles.html

Looks good to me. It is on my x-mas list... if only the wife could find that list.... :):)

Shilen2.gif

I have contacted Shilen and they wont be out for 8 months,and as off last Friday they have ot set a def. price yet.
Pierce or Bighorn will make me one.

I dont want to sale my barrels as I have some good ones.
If I where to sale these,I would not go with a pre fit,I would buy a Bat and build one with a regular barrel.
Anyone have any experience with the two actions that I just mentioned?

Back