Is there a need for more precision .22 cal pills?

Fuzzy Hole

Many shooters who have used my 6mm and 6.5mm bullets have had good results and I have been asked many times if I could also build precision .22 bullets. If there seems to be some interest in them I will get on the horn to Dave Detsch and have him build me more carbide dies. I'm no expert with .22s, but know there are several .22-250s and many other cartridges which use .22 bullets for competition. What I have in mind might be 40grFB, 45grFB and 50grFB for short range, 55grBT, 60grBT and 65grBT for mid range, and 70grVLD, 75grVLD and 80grVLD for long range. My version of VLD would be a very narrow tangent ogive with a long boat tail and the meplat tipped close. Of curse with that tooling I could build any of those with either a flat or boat tail base, and any weight. If anyone cares to comment with suggestions I'm all ears and nothing is in stone at this point. Please feel free to visit my web site www.PrecisionBallisticsLLC.com and either reply here or on my site. I'm 'Bughole' everywhere but here where I'm 'Fuzzy Hole' as 'Bughole' was taken already.

Don Lahr
Bughole@PrecisionBallisticsLLC.com

nothing ventured nothing gained. i have often wondered why we dont have ang double ogive 52gr 22cal bullets. on the other hand, there are some dam fine 22cal 52gr bullets out there already. lee

there's always a market for good 30 cal bullets if you're looking for something new to produce!

Many shooters who have used my 6mm and 6.5mm bullets have had good results and I have been asked many times if I could also build precision .22 bullets. If there seems to be some interest in them I will get on the horn to Dave Detsch and have him build me more carbide dies. I'm no expert with .22s, but know there are several .22-250s and many other cartridges which use .22 bullets for competition. What I have in mind might be 40grFB, 45grFB and 50grFB for short range, 55grBT, 60grBT and 65grBT for mid range, and 70grVLD, 75grVLD and 80grVLD for long range. My version of VLD would be a very narrow tangent ogive with a long boat tail and the meplat tipped close. Of curse with that tooling I could build any of those with either a flat or boat tail base, and any weight. If anyone cares to comment with suggestions I'm all ears and nothing is in stone at this point. Please feel free to visit my web site www.PrecisionBallisticsLLC.com and either reply here or on my site. I'm 'Bughole' everywhere but here where I'm 'Fuzzy Hole' as 'Bughole' was taken already.

Don Lahr
Bughole@PrecisionBallisticsLLC.com

Forget bullets.

Go into the JACKET making business for the 22, 6, and 30s.

Berger and Sierra need competition to open up the market and hopefully drive down the price of bullets. However, your tolerances would have to be very very tight, which is where those who have tried their hand at it in the past have failed.

If you've got the desire to get into a market that has a lot of suppressed demand, and an opportunity to make some big bucks coming to the aid of both shooters and bullet makers alike, call Ronnie Cheek [325-698-1318] for more info on the specifics of what's needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don already knows what is needed with the jackets. He makes incredibly good bullets now.

I can't say the .22 is a hot thing at most matches, now the .30 on the other hand is. And it was already mentioned some good .30 bullets would sell as fast as you can make them, then again, getting jackets is gonna be tough.

Joe Hynes

Back