is it legal?

L

little bill

I purchased a Savage mod. 10 1 muzzle loading rifle when it was first introduced years ago.
The mod. 10 ml 1 is designed from the Savage mod. 10 cf rifle short action, it has a 2 lug bolt fitted for the .223 case head. A priming module is loaded with a 209 shotgun primer and is shaped like a .223 case and fits into the bolt face with an extractor in the bolt. The priming module is camed into a restricted breech plug much the same as a rifle cartridge is loaded into a chamber. This design allows the use of smokless powder instead of black powder or bp substitutes.
My question is that I would like to convert this rifle to a 22/250 cf single shot rifle by replacing the bolt head and re-barreling. Would this conversion be legal? thanks!

I am in no way up to snuff on ATF laws and I may be wrong, but it was my understanding that if an action is designated as a rifle action you must keep it a rifle which in this case you are doing although you are changing it from a muzzleloader to a cf. I believe it's illegal to convert a rifle action to a pistol or vice versa. There are guys here that stay abreast of these matters and will probably chip in later today or tonight. Saturday is usually a slow day on these boards as most are out shooting matches. Be patient.........

The early 10MLs were required to be sold as modern rifles with ATF form 4473 and are rifles, so I can't see where there would be a legal pitfall. I would want to be sure that the bolt head is the only part that is different, but I remember the early reviews saying as much. I can't speak for any state laws as there are some crazy ones out there.

Back