Is IMR 4007 to slow for AR-15

Looks like it is too slow.

Hodgdon, which distributes IMR powders, reports: “IMR 4007 SSC falls between IMR 4350 and 4064. ‘SSC’ refers to the new ‘Super Short Cut’ grain shape.” With its short powder kernels, Hodgdon says, 4007 SSC meters better than long-grain extruded powders. Accordingly, charge weight consistency is improved. Hodgdon claims that the enhanced load density of 4007 SSC will allow velocity gains compared to longer extruded powders. Hodgon reports: “the shortened grain drops smoothly into small case necks making it perfect for classic varmint cartridges like the 22-250, 220 Swift and 243 Winchester. Users of popular big game cartridges such as the 30-06, 300 WSM and 7mm WSM can attain top velocities typical of extruded powders, with the precision metering inherent in this new product.

I tried 4007SSC in a 6 HAGAR with 87s and found it much too slow for that cartridge, which is very similar in shape & proportion to the 223. Ergo, I wouldn't waste much time or energy testing it in a 223.

I'd suspect that if it's slower than 4064 it's too slow for an AR unless you had an adjustable gas block or a gas port tuned specifically for it. That would be one specialized AR.

I've got a cannister of 4007 sitting down in my loading room to try in my .250-3000 (700 Classic) with 100 gr bullets and maybe 120's. Reloder 17, if it appears on the shelves before I die, might be interesting for that too.... :D

Larry, I've got a 250 Ackley Improved - maybe 4007 will work in it? I haven't had a whole lot of success with it in any of the other cartridges I've tested it in, including a 6 Dasher & 6x47L. Naturally, I bought an 8lb. jug of 4007 instead of being more cautious and trying just a pound of it.

I usually use RL-15 with 100 gr bullets, and H4350 with 120's in my .250. They produce the best velocities and accuracy I've gotten so far, so in your .250 AI 4007 might be great with 87's and 100's, but too fast with heavier bullets.

Have fun shooting up your 8 lb of 4007. I've got some powder that might end up as fertilizer unless I find something good to use it in....:(

No great loss

I just happened to walk in a well known gun shop in my area when they were moving. At that specific time all reloading componets were 80% off. I bought a lb of that powder and $300 buck of other stuff for $63 bucks..... Any how I wonder if it will work in my 6x284?or 22-250AI?

I have found 4007 to work very well in my 7-08. The burn rate "appears" to be similar to W760 in this cartridge. I haven`t used it in other cartridges yet to say how versatial it is.

I just happened to walk in a well known gun shop in my area when they were moving. At that specific time all reloading componets were 80% off. I bought a lb of that powder and $300 buck of other stuff for $63 bucks..... Any how I wonder if it will work in my 6x284?or 22-250AI?

I always admire a young man with restraint. At 80% off I don't know if I could restrain myself to $300.... Don't know where I'd put it all, but I'd find a place - although I'd likely be sharing the shed with the garden tractor. :eek: :eek: :D

Burn rate similar to w_w 760? Glad to learn of that.

Keep in mind I said "appears to be similar".
I`m seeing comparable velocities with the same wgt powder charge. This doesn`t mean they are the same pressure. Different cartridges/rifles may not show the same relationship. I should have been more specific in my 1st post.

Back