Interesting?

Jim Kobe

Maybe not but for those who wonder I had a rebarrel for a client with a take-off Remington Barrel and a 700 action. I had to set the barrel back a bit and when setting it up I noticed the shank threads and the bore had some runout. I measured it, .022" TIR. I thought about scrapping it but the client wanted to try it. So I fitted it up and chambered it. Did the standard .705 x .155 deep counterbore and assembled it. Could not get the bolt to close. It was so far out the nose of the bolt was contacting the barrel counterbore. He wants to shoot it so I corrected that problem and put it together. He says he wants to see how it shoots. He knows about it, is it safe to shoot?

I wont even touch them in my shop. i have no idea how Remington centers up on their barrels and like you i haven't figured out how to redial one in. Ive tried several times early on but not any more. i do like the new RR prefix actions though. pretty darn good!!!! Lee

I wont even touch them in my shop. i have no idea how Remington centers up on their barrels and like you i haven't figured out how to redial one in. Ive tried several times early on but not any more. i do like the new RR prefix actions though. pretty darn good!!!! Lee

Just about every RR action that I've had come into my shop has had primary extraction problems and that's before doing anything to them. I've been wearing out USPS sending them to Dan Armstrong to get the bolt handle problems fixed.

Maybe not but for those who wonder I had a rebarrel for a client with a take-off Remington Barrel and a 700 action. I had to set the barrel back a bit and when setting it up I noticed the shank threads and the bore had some runout. I measured it, .022" TIR. I thought about scrapping it but the client wanted to try it. So I fitted it up and chambered it. Did the standard .705 x .155 deep counterbore and assembled it. Could not get the bolt to close. It was so far out the nose of the bolt was contacting the barrel counterbore. He wants to shoot it so I corrected that problem and put it together. He says he wants to see how it shoots. He knows about it, is it safe to shoot?

It depends, how did you correct the problem?..............Don

It depends, how did you correct the problem?..............Don

I would think it would b as simple as giving the barrel's counterbore enough clearance to where the bolt nose does not hit it.

No one but the molecules of air surrounding the bolt's nose will know the difference.

On the subject of rechambering factory barrels.

Saw off the first 44" of that barrel and trash it.

Remington, Savage, Winchester < Maserati, etc. All of them!!

I would think it would b as simple as giving the barrel's counterbore enough clearance to where the bolt nose does not hit it.

No one but the molecules of air surrounding the bolt's nose will know the difference.

That's what I did to the c'bore. I agree on those barrel's worth. Only thing is, I can take them to a gunshow and sell them for real money; people come by and give me realdollars for junk, can't beat t\at

mike
ive only had one that after truing wouldn't eject the case reliably. the rest weren't perfect but definitely functional. lee

mike
ive only had one that after truing wouldn't eject the case reliably. the rest weren't perfect but definitely functional. lee

Where you'll run into trouble with marginal extraction camming is when they start loading their cartridges on the high pressure side. As long as the pressures aren't hot, you can get by with not having much extraction camming. It seems though that for lots of people especially with custom rifles, they want to shoot them hot.

Back