Imr 8208

skeetlee

Fellas i have been searching high and low for some more of the test lot of 8208, lot# 4736. I havent come up with much, actually only one pound. Anyway i am going to keep looking but i was wondering if anyone knew if Hodgdon was going to try and revamp the formula to match the test lots speed? I have heard a couple fellas say they think Hodgdon is working on this, but i didnt know if anyone had any concrete info. I tried to call Hodgdon today but i was put on hold for to long so i hung up. ( eating my cell phone minutes) I really really like the 8208 lot 4736. It shoots really well with my ulrich 66gr little uglies and it also shoots really well in my 22ppc .100 short shilen barrel that i bought used. I think its good stuff, but i dont have the kind of cash to buy 8 pounds of another lot and take a chance of it not shooting as well, actually i did try another lot 4777 (I think) and it was definitely slower. I didnt even play around with it much and i sold the jug. So i am just hoping Hodgdon is working on this issue or i am hoping i can run across some more of the lot 4736. Thanks fellas! Lee

I bought a jug of lot #4798 and haven't found a load that looks promising yet in either 6mm BR or .223 Rem compared to Varget. - nhk

Another reason i ask about all this, is that i read on another forum that they think a new batch of 8208 is already being sold?? I just wonder if i even need to find this old lot of 8208 or try some new powder. I would like to know for sure before i go out and buy some. Lee

I bought a jug of lot #4798 and haven't found a load that looks promising yet in either 6mm BR or .223 Rem compared to Varget. - nhk

I tried it on a .223 with 52 grain bullets (14 twist, 28" barrel) and couldn't get it to work either, too slow. What bullets were you shooting?

XBR!
Wow. Hot stuff. Punches holes in primers and all that stuff.
Works great. In 6PPC.
mostly you get a 4 and 1 group. But, that stuff wants to shoot. Wow.

Bullets

I tried it on a .223 with 52 grain bullets (14 twist, 28" barrel) and couldn't get it to work either, too slow. What bullets were you shooting?

So far 50 gr SP in the .223 Rem with a 24" 1:12 twist and 70 gr in the 6mm BR with a 25" 1:10 twist. I believe it's supposed to be faster than Varget, but Varget has worked for everything in the .223 in both 1:12 and 1:9 barrels for me. AA2015 works better with the 70 gr Nosler BT for me in the 6mm BR. I haven't seen anything under 7/8" with 8208 and that was slow in the .223 (2936 fps) and 3300 fps in the 6mm BR. I've been on other projects and haven't gotten back to the IMR 8208 XBR with other bullets, primers and cartridges. - nhk

I finally got a couple of pounds of lot 4832 and have tried it in my 6 BR live varmint rifle. According to Hodgdon it looks to work well with bullets from ~60 to ~90 gr. I've tried it with 87's and it was indifferent at best, and yesterday shot it along with AA 2460 and 2520 with 58 gr V-Max's. The velocity was about what Hodgdon says, although my barrel is a bit over 2" longer than their test barrel, but accuracy wasn't inspiring. I've used CCI 400's and WSR's with it so far and am going to try it with some other Rem 7.5's and maybe F205's to see if that helps any. Both 2460 and 2520 worked better for me yesterday though.

Lee - The oldest lot# I've got is 4798, but I really haven't taken time to work with it in anything. Just received a couple of 8lb. jugs from PV that are both lot #4855 - I'm somewhat more than slightly disappointed to hear more negative comments on this stuff than positive. Will probably have to wait until after fall corn harvest & wheat drilling to get the time to try it in anything; want to test it in 223 with S77s & several 80s (Berger,Hornady,JLK,&Sierra), 6 RAT, 6BR, 6 Dasher, 6.5x47(with 85-100gr bullets), and 308Win with 155s.

4798 lot has taken .3 MOA off my previous best load (Varget) w/155.5 bergers. I REALLY love the stuff in the 308. Although some other cals 243,6-250,7BR have not equaled this and I reverted back to their previous Best.

Back