I'm Some What Confused.....

waynej1

Right off the bat, I'm going to tell ya'll that don't know me, I ain't the brightest bulb in the box. I've been around benchrest (100 and 200 yrd.) since introduced, by Doc Winn at the Bailey's shooting range in Houston, Tx. since 1992. That is not a long time I realize to quite a few of my aquaintences from the Houston area, and nation wide. Here is what I don't understand. If benchrest is such an precise disipline, and the equipment is so extrodinarily precise, I read on here time and time again that we need more new blood in our sport/hobby, where is all the equipment at? Some of my past shooting friends know I had a fire recently and lost ALL of my shooting/reloading gear. I've been in the process of researching different actions, stocks, optic mounting systems and the like. There is none (read new) to be had. The actions are seven months to a year on back order. Same with BR stocks. Custom made BR bullets, the same way. Granted, I'm a nobody when it comes to BR, I've been out for some time now due to health and other reasons. But, I cannot even find out how to contact stock makers, as well as bullet makers, and action manufactures, forget it. I do know alot of shooters on here and through out the country, but am stumped as to how to aquire or buy new, major components. Can you imagine how a newbie/new shooter must feel? Overwhelmed! I had thought not to return to BR shooting, but, enjoy the time consuming preperation, tuning, practice and learning the idiocracies of shooting BR, not to mention the people of this wonderful game. I'm getting older and was hoping to be able to enjoy the thrill of traveling, shooting the Nationals at different parts of the country, the Super Shoot, regionals and local matches since I can carry a 10.5 pound rifle. I know rifle smiths, but most are in the same boat I'm in. Can't get the parts, or parts I'd like to use for a new build. Sorry to whine, but it is disheartening to say the least. Just thought I'd post this to see if anyone is having the same problem. I hope some of you have some suggestions. Thanks waynej

Haven't bought any major components for years but there's a fair mix in the classifieds.

Are you having trouble finding phone numbers or just don't get an answer?

Yep same old story huh? Since I have gotten into this game, about 2003, lead times on almost everything have got much longer. It is not uncommon to hear of waiting 1 year to receive components. I was talking to a supplier the other day and they said barrels are almost non-existent right now, and it will be MANY months before they are going to get any.

I also read that primers are real hard to find too.

Makes it tough to compete.

Joe

Gotta agree with Wilbur, there have been a couple really good guns in the classifieds. There might still be one on there.

Joe

Right off the bat, I'm going to tell ya'll that don't know me, I ain't the brightest bulb in the box. I've been around benchrest (100 and 200 yrd.) since introduced, by Doc Winn at the Bailey's shooting range in Houston, Tx. since 1992. That is not a long time I realize to quite a few of my aquaintences from the Houston area, and nation wide. Here is what I don't understand. If benchrest is such an precise disipline, and the equipment is so extrodinarily precise, I read on here time and time again that we need more new blood in our sport/hobby, where is all the equipment at? Some of my past shooting friends know I had a fire recently and lost ALL of my shooting/reloading gear. I've been in the process of researching different actions, stocks, optic mounting systems and the like. There is none (read new) to be had. The actions are seven months to a year on back order. Same with BR stocks. Custom made BR bullets, the same way. Granted, I'm a nobody when it comes to BR, I've been out for some time now due to health and other reasons. But, I cannot even find out how to contact stock makers, as well as bullet makers, and action manufactures, forget it. I do know alot of shooters on here and through out the country, but am stumped as to how to aquire or buy new, major components. Can you imagine how a newbie/new shooter must feel? Overwhelmed! I had thought not to return to BR shooting, but, enjoy the time consuming preperation, tuning, practice and learning the idiocracies of shooting BR, not to mention the people of this wonderful game. I'm getting older and was hoping to be able to enjoy the thrill of traveling, shooting the Nationals at different parts of the country, the Super Shoot, regionals and local matches since I can carry a 10.5 pound rifle. I know rifle smiths, but most are in the same boat I'm in. Can't get the parts, or parts I'd like to use for a new build. Sorry to whine, but it is disheartening to say the least. Just thought I'd post this to see if anyone is having the same problem. I hope some of you have some suggestions. Thanks waynej

Along with things not being "available" we have a number of "newbies" who "want it now!!!!". BR actions, barrels, barrels, etc,, have not been available on an "off the shelf" basis for many years. Folks, you hyave got to recognize that on a new, manufacturer available basis, this stuff is a CUSTOM product. This AIN'T your grandma's Rem. 700. Sorry, no excuses, no exceptions. You are buying CUSTOM parts. Try buying a full custom Mustang or a Corvette. You will be on a waiting list as well. Different how?

Wilbur, yes answering the phone is on the list. When looking at manufactors web sites, they have not been updated for years. You call, no answer. David I agree. These are custom items. But where are all the inventories going? Are the BR shooters buying and hoarding these parts? There are not that many new shooters starting in BR. I don't mind waiting for products, been doing it for years. I'm still stumped. How do you buy a rifle off the internet without seeing how it is bedded, stock condition, action condition (galled lugs) or balance? I understand, I've tried to sell a rifle here before. That is my main reasons for wanting to build new. Thanks for the input. waynej1

Back