Identifying Various Culver Clones

Green Frog

I have a question for some of you grey beards. I'm trying to assemble information (at least to my own satisfaction) about the development of the Culver conversion for the Lyman 55 Measure. I would like to know what features to look for in order to distinguish between the original Culver made units and the various clones.

In addition, I've heard it said that Homer put some of his earliest conversions into the old cast iron Ideal #5 measures as well. Has anyone here experienced this, and were any of the clones done in this way as well?

This is not for any sales purposes nor even to do any loading these days, I just want to try and get a handle on some of the information that is floating around out there, mostly to satisfy my own curiosity. Thanks in advance for any help any of you may ba able to provide.

Froggie

I have a Culver, which has his name stamped on the perimeter of the end of the adjustment knob. I also have a "clone" that is made just about exactly the same, but no name stamp. I can't tell the difference in how they throw, they throw the same. Both of mine are on the Lyman 55.

Thanks, Wayne. Other than lacking the name and serial number, are the knurls and the recess behind the knurled area pretty much the same as the original? Do you know who made the clone? I'm starting pretty much from zero here and I'm beginning to think what little I've "found out" so far may be flawed. I don't suppose anybody knows of a magazine article, chapter in a book, etc that traces all or part of the history of these measures from the first Culver to the current Harrell (or any part thereof?) Inquiring minds want to know... :confused:

Froggie

For us younger shooters does any one have any pictures?
Centerrfire

My one anonymous clone currently mounted in an old Ideal #5 body, is buried in the mess in my basement and can’t be accessed right now. I do have a #5 Micrometer Model (factory) for you to see. This didn’t survive the transition to the #55, but may have provided some inspiration for Culver... but I really don’t know that for a fact.

Froggie

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 348
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 314
Thanks, Butch. Any distinguishing markings? Is it stamped MCRW? What kind of knurling does it have? Somewhere in the back of my mind I have the nagging feeling that mine is MCRW as well, but it is totally unmarked except for the numbers and division lines.

Somewhere I have a list of the clones that includes MCRW, Jones, Bruno, and perhaps one or two others. My list is also among the missing. :confused:

I guess I'll have to spend some time digging mine out and take pics to inspire others to do the same. It seems like it will take comparable pictures of known examples so the rest of us will be able to figure who made what.

Froggie

Ta Dah! I found pictures I took a while ago of my Culver Clone mounted in an old #5. When I got it, it came with a #55 body that was pretty scruffy, so I felt it would look better in this #5 I had laying around. Over on the ARTCA Forum it was tentatively identified as a fairly early MCRW. I've been told that the later MCRW conversion rotors utilized stainless steel instead of brass. :confused::confused:

Anybody have pictures of other conversions they'd be willing to share? It would be nice to get an original Culver or two so we would have a baseline for comparison .:rolleyes:

Froggie

Attachments

• C-type%20M1.jpg
    C-type%20M1.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 257
  • C-type%20M2.jpg
    C-type%20M2.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 266
  • C-type%20M3.jpg
    C-type%20M3.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 240
I'll take photos when I get back in my other shop this afternoon. It would be easier for me to email them to you. Can you PM your email address?
My MCRW has a flat black Teflon coated finish. The drum is stainless. Though probably no better, I have an old Bruno that has a Jerry Hensler insert. I use it at the matches and the MCRW for all of my hunting rifles.

I'll take photos when I get back in my other shop this afternoon. It would be easier for me to email them to you. Can you PM your email address?
My MCRW has a flat black Teflon coated finish. The drum is stainless. Though probably no better, I have an old Bruno that has a Jerry Hensler insert. I use it at the matches and the MCRW for all of my hunting rifles.

PM inbound!

Froggie

I have a Culver, which has his name stamped on the perimeter of the end of the adjustment knob. I also have a "clone" that is made just about exactly the same, but no name stamp. I can't tell the difference in how they throw, they throw the same. Both of mine are on the Lyman 55.

I need to edit this. My non-Culver measure does have a stamp on the knob, It's CUSTOM PRODUCTS. I will try for some pics Monday.

I had 2 Culver inserts, both fitted to the 55 by Homer himself. Years later I still never the need to use the 2nd one. When Bill Wylde started building my ARs, I gave it to him. He machined a SS body for it with his own design cavity. He used this powder measure to load when he won the Canadian F Class championship once, maybe twice. I will see if I can have him send me some pictures.

culver powder measure pictures

Could be, but nothing else is on it.

culver original # 286 with pill bottle adapter measure works well but only adjusts in 1/2 numbers might be course for benchrest work the mcrw was identical but where there is brass it would be stainless

Attachments

• culver measure picture #2.jpg
    culver measure picture #2.jpg
    651.3 KB · Views: 168
  • culver measure picture # 1.jpg
    culver measure picture # 1.jpg
    867.9 KB · Views: 222
I have a question for some of you grey beards. I'm trying to assemble information (at least to my own satisfaction) about the development of the Culver conversion for the Lyman 55 Measure. I would like to know what features to look for in order to distinguish between the original Culver made units and the various clones.

In addition, I've heard it said that Homer put some of his earliest conversions into the old cast iron Ideal #5 measures as well. Has anyone here experienced this, and were any of the clones done in this way as well?

This is not for any sales purposes nor even to do any loading these days, I just want to try and get a handle on some of the information that is floating around out there, mostly to satisfy my own curiosity. Thanks in advance for any help any of you may ba able to provide.

Froggie

Froggie - my dad helped Homer make those measures from the early 80's through ~1993. I wrote an article on Culver and it covers the insert. Email me at lee@singleactions.com and I'll send you the write-up along with some photos.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

PS - Homer's first insert was on an Ideal #5. It sat on a shelf above his lathe for years.

Outstanding Lee! I’m on my iPad now but as soon as I can get to my laptop with a real keyboard I’ll send you an e-mail. Thank yo very much.

Froggie

I was cleaning out an old computer desk that I hadn't used in years and found a CD with these pictures of a Culver modified measure. From the metadata on the images, they date to December 2000, and I have no idea who sent me this disc. I don't recognize the handwriting on the label.

Did Homer use this bright metallic blue paint on his measures? I once encountered a Lyman 55 measure in this color, but it had a factory type rotor (returned??) in it when I saw it. Note there is no serial number on the end of the rotor, and that none appears in any of the other pictures I found.

Froggie

Attachments

• Culver 3.JPG
    Culver 3.JPG
    815.2 KB · Views: 213
  • Culver 4.JPG
    Culver 4.JPG
    764.4 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Back