Identifying a Leupold BR Scope

Slowshot

I bought the Leupold BR 36 pictured here from a sale on Benchrest Central a couple of years ago. The seller claimed he had bought it from Speedy Gonzales. I have no way to verify that. It certainly is not like any other Leupold I have seen. The AO Ring is on the barrel, rather than the objective bell. I must add, it is the clearest, sharpest most stable scope I own. It has spoiled me for any other scopes within my budget other than Leupold BRs. Since then, I also bought a Leupold BR 24. Other than the fact that I can't figure out the range marks on that one, it is my second favorite scope.

My research has lead me to believe this is a factory customization. Has any other BRC member ever seen one of these? Can you give any verifiable information on its origin and modification history? I posted these same pictures on Rimfire Central. Nearly 100 members have taken a look with no replies so far.

DSCN1779.jpg

DSCN1781.jpg

DSCN1777.jpg

This won't be much help, but I've seen a couple of these scopes at various benchrest matches. I never bothered to ask about them, but I doubt they were a factory mod. Good luck with finding out more info. There are surely a couple of guys on this forum that can be of more help.

Virg

My research has lead me to believe this is a factory customization. Has any other BRC member ever seen one of these? Can you give any verifiable information on its origin and modification history? I posted these same pictures on Rimfire Central. Nearly 100 members have taken a look with no replies so far.

Incorrect
That is a Dick Thomas of Premier reticles modification.
His work was good enough he did work for Leupold for a number of years , and they did warranty work on his modified scopes. Unfortunately it is my understanding since his death several years back Leupold no longer works on them .
Dick

PS: It might have belonged to Speedy only he could comment on that it is a 15 or 20 year old scope at least, as long as it is working just be happy with it. If it gives you POI change issues I would send it to someone like Cecil Tucker not Leupold.

Last edited:
Premier Conversion

Incorrect
His work was good enough he did work for Leupold for a number of years , and they did warranty work on his modified scopes. Unfortunately it is my understanding since his death several years back Leupold no longer works on them .
Dick

PS: It might have belonged to Speedy only he could comment on that it is a 15 or 20 year old scope at least, as long as it is working just be happy with it. If it gives you POI change issues I would send it to someone like Cecil Tucker not Leupold.

This was an excellent fix for the parallax adjustment on early Leupolds that had no lock. I still have two of them that Wally Siebert bumped to 45X.

Incorrect
Dick

Thanks. That is what I wanted to know. I got the scope for $550... a steal considering how well it works for me. I got my Leupold BR 24 locally for $400. They are the best deals I have ever gotten in scopes. I used to swear by Weaver T-36s as my BR scope of choice. Now having seen the superior sight picture from my two Leupolds, I am completely sold on the Leupold BRs.

Back