I need some help with reloading for a beginner for an AR-15

J

Johnhfarmer

Hello guys (and gals) I am fairly new to reloading rifle cartridges but have reloaded and helped reload since I was a boy for shotguns. I have an AR-15 that I just purchased an 18" 1:8 twist kreiger SPR barrel with the compass lake engineering chamber for. I am looking for a couple of loads. The first being a load I can put shots on paper out to 600 yards. I'm leaning toward a 75 gr Sierra Match King. Id like input from anyone with experience with one of these barrels and what performed best for you. The next is a bullet close to the same weight that is recommended for hunting. The A-Max 75gr. has great reviews for hunting but Hornady says it can't be loaded to magazine length. I have not bought powder yet either. What powder is recommended and why? I will probably be weighing each charge for optimal consistency so so stick powders shouldn't be an issue. However I am new to this so please give me some opinions. My press is a RCBS Rockchucker and I'll be using small base dies.

At this time the best groups I have shot were under 1 1/2" at 200 yards using HPR 75 BTHP.

Decent load for AR

I have good luck with 23.6 grains of TAC, Remington Cases, Fed 205 primers and either 75 grain Hornady HPBT or 77 grain Sierra Match Kings, either loaded to magazine length. Shoot these across the course out to 600. Some prefer Varget to TAC, but TAC burns extremely clean, keeps the copper down, and meters extremely well. I do not use a small base die. I just full-length size and I have no issues in my Bushmaster CMP. You can load A-max or 80 grain Bergers for single-load at 600, but it will take some practice before this is warranted. Stick with the SMK's at least until you get good, and maybe forever.

Small base dies are NOT NEEDED.

The reason I went with the small base was because Compass Lake recommended it with the CLE chamber. Is there a down side to using them? The only downside I have seen is that it will possibly decrease the number of reloads by 1-2 reloads.

One online resource for loading for semiauto rifles is available from Sierra Bullets. The link is http://www.exteriorballistics.com/reloadbasics/gasgunreload.cfm . Written by a reputable firm, much of the information is sound, even if some of the tools mentioned might not be the most up-to-date or best choices today. An exampple: Stoney Point tools were bought by Hornady s few years ago. They are still available, but the "manufacturer" has changed.

Hope this helps.

Measuring Loads

Don't know how you plan to weigh each load, but I can say that my RCBS Chargemaster 1500, using the "straw trick" and TAC, measures a perfect charge every time. By the time you get one bullet seated, your next charge is ready. Sometimes Varget, being a "log" powder, will overthrow a bit, even using the straw. This won't slow you down by a material amount, but it can be aggravating. In actuality, with TAC a powder measure works just fine. It meters incredibly well. It is supposed to be temperature-resistant, but don't let one sit for more than a minute in a hot chamber on a hot day, or you'll be over the top of the black at 600.

Back