Hydraulic Indicator Holders.

F

frwillia

I bought a Compac .0001" (0.024" range) indicator on Ebay today (New) as the next step in my methodical journey to get equipped for chambering and crowning barrels. I have some holders that I've used with conventional dial indicators. They are the typical magnetic base with solid rods sort of thing - I always feel like I'm at least one hand short when I work with them.

While I was looking around Ebay I saw what are called Hydraulic Indicator Holders. Apparently there is one center knob that when tightened forces a piston out against the ball fixtures in the ends of the arms locking the whole thing in position at once.

This seems like a pretty nice concept, especially when trying to get something as sensitive as an .0001" test indicator centered in it's very limited useful range.

But (there is always a "but"), clever as these look, since I know nothing about them, are they as good as they look? Are they better than the "old fashioned" solid rod type? If they are better, does the brand matter? If so, who makes a good one?

Thanks
Fitch

I'm a big fan of the Noga Bases. Never had a problem. A little more pricey than a standard base, but it is money well spent IMO.

Mag Base

I also have a Noga mag base and it is the best mag base I have ever used. The magnet is really strong and the arms can be almost tied in a knot. It is very easy to put the indicator right where you want it as it moves in all directions.

John

The Noga holders are excellent and I believe they came up with the concept. I am really curious how well the import copies of the Noga system work. I would really like to replace the five or six clunky mechanical holders I use now, but buying real Noga's would eat my tooling budget for a couple years.

I am really curious how well the import copies of the Noga system work.

I'll let you know. I just bought one to try it out. For twenty two bux the risk was acceptable.

Fitch

I have a cheap Noga copy that I bought from Travers Tool. Its pretty good, but definitely not the same. Will get the job done though. It seems like it doesn't tighten up as well as the Nogas. You have to really crank down on the knob to get it to lock up.

Back